Author Topic: Milroy of Port Logan?  (Read 11463 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Milroy of Port Logan?
« on: Sunday 08 April 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help please
I have family in Devon named Milroy all are tea dealers and all relate as I find children of my primary family turning up as nieces of other Milroys

They are Margaret with dob ranging from 1795-1893 on the different censuses
John  1807 or 1809
James born between 1796-1801
Alexander b 1816 he is in Bodmin Cornwall at one time then with James' widow in Barnstaple

On one census and only for Johnand Margaret the place of birth is given as Port Logan which I believe is Wigtownshire
All other times they are simply from Scotland.

There is a tree on An..ry with children with the same names but totally different years of birth and all marrying or dying  in Scotland

Is there any way I can find parents with these children in Scotland?

James married a girl from Devon and his first child was born in 1830
John and Margaret never married and are trading in Barnstaple in 1841
Alexander married a Cornish girl his oldest child was born in Bodmin in 1840

Hope someone can help
trees

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Milroy of Port Logan?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Trees

This might help:

MILROY, James - D20/12/1848 - At Liskeard, on the 20th ult., after a severe illness, Mr James Milroy, merchant, aged 40 years - much regretted by all who knew him. The deceased was son of Mr John Milroy, Stranraer.
www.rjw-data.info/WigFP/PDF_files/1849.pdf

You had an Andrew there too earlier (I was searching for his details and he disappeared on edit!). On the same file as above, there was also this which I wondered whether it could be a son of Andrew's:

MILROY, Thomas - D6/12/1849 - At Deasham Place, Plymouth, on the 6th inst., Thomas, youngest son of Mr Andrew Milroy, merchant, aged 1 year and 10 months

Might also help to confirm details if you had Alexander's father's name from his marriage cert to Julia. I assume this was post 1837 and before the birth of son Alexander?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi and many thanks but i don't think the Liskard and Plymouth families link to the Barnstaple family yet! that was why i took Andrew off He seems to be son of another Alexander i have now found two on the same census. I can only be sure of the ones I have on post 1
James MILOY born between 1796-1801 in Scotland married Mary FOLLAND (information from a folland will) and subsequent censuses give the correct birth year and place for Mary Milroy nee FOLLAND She and her mother Amy FOLLAND are with a sister in 1861
In 1851 Alexander's daughter Agnes is with Mary and on the 1851 census John and Margaret are said to be born Port Logan
James and Mary's daughter Margaret is with Alexander in 1861
Their daughter Julia is with John in 1881 just after Margaret died up to her death so is listed as sister to John
Alexander is with the widowed Mary in 1871
So this all links the family in Bodmin and Barnstaple
James died 1843 Barnstaple
yes Alexander married in 1877 I am waiting for the DFHS Disc which i ordered just last week in the hope it gives more than BMD as they are not direct line ( Mary FOLLAND is a sibling to our main line. I just think all these Scottish tea merchants are interesting I have found a bankruptcy and dissolving a partnership and a trustee of a Congregational Church among them  :)
Hope this helps

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
Not only do you have potentially two Alexanders, you also have two James then  :-\

This is the 1841 census I was looking at, also in Bodmin:

James Milroy 33 tea dealer b. Scotland
Ann Milroy 29
Elizabeth Milroy 2
John Neilson 20
John Milroy 19 tea dealer b. Scotland
James MacKelvie 19
Catherine Rowe 20
Ann Boswathick 59

Did the James who married Mary Folland also die in the 1840s - thinking of that death notice I posted? The Ann above also shows as a widow in 1851.

Monica

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 12 20:51 BST (UK) »
oops I kept finding data to add to helpJames died 1843 in Barnstaple

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 April 12 20:53 BST (UK) »
With so many MILROYS from Scotland trading Drapery and tea it is a fascinating but confusing situation

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 12 21:01 BST (UK) »
It is confusing, Trees! You don't say how connected this line is to you, but certainly Alexander and Julia's marriage cert would help you by confirming father's name. There does seem to be potentially a few tea dealers from Scotland in the local area at the same time. They may not be siblings but they could still be connected (cousins for example), but that is a 'tommorow' thing, once you have confirmed parents for John, James, Alexander and Margaret....

Monica

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
My feelings exactly all the families have the same names Alexander, Margaret John James and Julia they must connect some way I will contact the An..ry tree owner in case they have crossed a missing family fingers crossed
We connect through Mary FOLLAND but even she is a bit off the main line I'm just nosey if I find a married in family with something a bit different I just have to follow it up. I have recently been following one of ours who became a Congregational minister then I found that John Milroy was a trustee of the Barnstaple Congregational Church and that was it my curiosity has gone into overdrive :) Now I would like to get to the bottom of all these Scottish Tea dealers so far from home and so many in a close area May be the Evangelical influence highlighted tea rather than ale ;D

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
wow I have had a great break through A rootschat member has taken a photograph of Margaret Milroy's grave and it says she was born in Kirkmaiden which is just South of Port Logan So How can I find births pre registration in that area of Scotland please? Both Port Logan and Kirkmaiden are South of Stranraer. So did that Obit used it as the nearest town Westcountry folk would recognise like we say we are from Bridgend but really live in a small village a few miles from that town. I am sure the Liskeard MILROYs relate to the Barnstaple family. Its finding both those James families at the same time that is off putting they  must surely be cousins

mcmullin.me.uk