Author Topic: Fairman / Bell / Donald  (Read 1760 times)

Offline moyawarr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Fairman / Bell / Donald
« on: Monday 09 April 12 04:49 BST (UK) »
John Bell and Esther Donald lived in Scotland, but they were both born in Donegal. John in 1822 and Esther in 1823.  John's mother was Sarah Fairman.  I do not know which town in Donegal, can anyone help in tracing this couple. According to a birth certificate that I have for their youngest child, they were married in Londonderry 20 November 1838.  Regards  Moya

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fairman / Bell / Donald
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline moyawarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 04:07 BST (UK) »
Thankyou.  Have tried both these sites but as I do not know the town in Donegal, all searchess come up zero  Regards  Moya

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 09:41 BST (UK) »
What you need to see if any Irish records exist is the townland (or at least the parish). If the marriage did take place in Londonderry city and they were born in Donegal it's possible they lived near the border between the two counties or else had moved into the city at some point before 1838- no way of knowing really. I would, however, be sceptical of the dates- marriage in 1838 means John was only 16 and Esther 15 at the time.

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 11:47 BST (UK) »

Offline moyawarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
From the dates of the various censuses, I realise they were both very young when married, on the 1841 census for Scotland, they have a child Nancy age 1 born Port Glasgow . According to records they lost two of their children and Nancy was one of them. Whether they had to get married in 1838 and maybe lost that child I don't know.  The only other space for another child to be born was between 1850 (son John) and 1854 (daughter Esther). Esther also had family living in Scotland, three sisters and a brother all born Ireland, but I can't find any death records for them which might have indicated a place of birth instead of just Ireland. On the 1841 census John is described as a Duck H L W, I realize that duck is probably dock, but does anyone know what the HLW would stand for.  Also on the 1851 he is described as a Lab in Sing House, lab being labourer, but what could sing house be ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
You need to look at original census records (Scotland's People) rather than a transcription. "Lab in Sing House" is possibly lab[ourer] in sugar house.