Author Topic: Seaforth Highlanders - WW2  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Grandson Al

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seaforth Highlanders - WW2
« on: Monday 09 April 12 04:50 BST (UK) »
Morning All

Can you help me ?.

We are trying to trace some info on my grandfather - Allan Stewart Warren Crawford, born 28th November 1908 @ 34 McLellan Street, Govan. We know he served with the Seaforth Highlanders, trained around the Strathpeffer area ( based @ Fort George ? ) and potentially saw action in the Middle East / Palestine, during WW2 ?.

We also know he was a machine gunner, a boxer and attained the rank of Sergeant. He died of natural cases in Glasgow in 1997 and received a pension for his hearing loss ( machine gun ).

What we don't know is his soldier ID number ?. What unit within the Seaforth's he served in ?. And where this unit saw active service ?. An absolute bonus would be to find out if he received any commendations during his service time or if there was any photos / group photos of him / this unit before / during the war years ?.

I'm conscious i could be at the beginning of a fairly lengthy period of searching but would love to have this info in time for my fathers 70th birthday in October, to tell him about his fathers war service and present him with some period momento's of the regiment which i'm currently searching for - Glengarry's etc.

All help / assistance will be very much appreciated by all our family.

Regards
Allan Crawford ( his grandson )