Author Topic: 1861 census 5 Acton House Wittersham Kent  (Read 2176 times)

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 census 5 Acton House Wittersham Kent
« on: Monday 09 April 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please? my Great Great Grandfathers son Thomas Body was a farmer of 366 acres employing 13 men and 5 boys. This was a small farm compared to his fathers and College Farm Wittersham. The 1861 census shows 5 Great Acton House Wittersham and Owley House and Owley Cottage are on the same sheet so must be Acton lane. I can only see Acton Manor in the listed buildings.. Any idea please?
ivor

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census 5 Acton House Wittersham Kent
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This does not answer your question but this link has interesting info concerning the area.

www.thevoid.plus.com/ftbrann.htm

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
Will the tithe apportionments of 1840 approx help determine parcels of land? - ownership may have changed but the land attached to each property may have stayed the same.

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Maps/WIT/02.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon and Bearkat. Thanks for your replies. Sharon I have seen the Branns history before by Roger Williams, but somehow they did not mention any reference to the Body's. They do mention the Dengates and Louisa Dengate was my Great Grandmother It is said that the Body's were driven out of Kent to the West Country in the 11th or 12th Century i.e Bodiam was Bodyham. My Great Great Grandmother died in Bodiam in 1870 Goodgrooms/ Kitchenham and Kitchenham Farm.

Bearkat. Thanks, there is a couple of references to John and Thomas Body in the Tithe titles, but nothing about Great Acton House or Farm. Owley Farm and house yes, which is in Acton Lane.
Budds Farm shown in the tithe was 352.0.7 which I guess is acres, but when John Body had it in 1881 census the acreage was 954 employing 43 men and 11 boys.
Thanks to you both again if you have any other suggestions regards ivor