Author Topic: TWIST to ASTON  (Read 6330 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Twist to Aston
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all replies.  I am amazed how quickly folk respond and the amount of information at your finger-tips!   I need to come up to speed with what is available now online - 'in my day' (20yrs ago) there was very little and the research was done trawling at the individual Record Offices.

I didn't realise there were public family trees on Ancestry - I don't have this at home but go to local library to use it there, so hopefully I can search the next time I go.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 15:28 BST (UK) »
Judith and Merlin   -  Can you tell me where / how you found the information on Emmanuel Twist?  Was it just through the tas/gov website ? Is there any chance of knowing his parents name ?

I have yet to tie him in with the Twist family identified.  Family tale was that whoever was transported was a horse thief, but that could easily be the tale embroidered.

Could someone tell me how to show my surname searches on the bottom of my postings please.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 01:24 BST (UK) »
If you give details of your  GGGF (who changed his name from Twist to Aston) we may be able to work back from there.  There are some very good sleuths on this Aussie Board who have knowledge of UK records as well. The usual details - birth, death, marriage, parent names, places he lived  etc would help.

Some details about William TWIST

William TWIST, 26, convicted of housebreaking at Warwick assizes 26 March 1831, sentenced to death but shipped to NSW on the Asia, 1831, sentence: life, arrived NSW 13 Feb 1832.
Convict indents show:
William TWIST, 27, protestant, married, native place Birmingham, button finisher, crime housebreaking, comitted @ Warwick assizes
Granted a conditional pardon 'by minute of the Governor'  1842-1845 (page undated). Another record gives Governor's Pardon date as 1849

Hmm - and another TWIST - with very few records other than this one for a Certificate of Freedom

Henry TWIST, granted Certificate of Freedom 13 January 1837
per ship Leyton, 1829.
Native place Birmingham, birth 1810, occupation: letter press printer
Convicted Hereford quarter sessions, 13 January 1829, housebreaking, sentence 7 years.

Cheers, Judith

Click on "Profile" at the top of the R'chat page.  This should show your profile.  In a box at left is the section where you can modify your profile.  lick on RootsChat Profile Information and you can add the names in a box at the bottom of your profine info

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 01:33 BST (UK) »
Henry TWIST, granted Certificate of Freedom 13 January 1837
per ship Leyton, 1829.
Native place Birmingham, birth 1810
Convicted Hereford quarter sessions, 13 January 1839, housebreaking, sentence 7 years.

Possibly his CoF granted earlier, and the 1837 was simply a re-issue? 
C of F 16 Jan 1836 # 36/0020

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx   several with surname TWIST and also others with surname ASTON at those indexes.  The indexes point to actual records held by the NSW State Records Office.

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 01:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry - forgot to add that Henry TWIST's occupation is listed as letter press printer.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for your help in providing this information.   I will look into the 3 Twist names I have who were transported to Austalia from Birmingham / Warwickshire to see if I can make the connection with my Twist / Aston line.

I do not have any information on the transported Twist supposedly from 'my' family.

The tale is this:  A few years ago my sister went to visit two elderly sisters who were Aston grand-children of William Aston.  They told my sister about their grand-father William having changed his name in 1846 from Twist.  They did not know anything about his Twist family.  But they had a copy of a marriage certificate of a William Twist marrying a Mary Ann Crewley in 1861 which they said was their grandfather.   When he came to marry Andora Beard (nee Tysall) she insisted he change his name from Twist as she said 'they might be a lot of horse dealers but she considered them horse stealers',  especially as one of their Twist family members had been transported to Aust. for (as they said, horse) stealing.
Will tell the rest of the tale in another posting !

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Tale continued!    My sister paid for a FH researcher to look for the likely Twist family of William.  They concluded it was a Joseph Twist, Horse dealer married to Emma.   His grandfather had been a horse dealer, as were his sons and it seemed the general occupation of that Twist family.   When it was discovered that Emma's maiden name had been Aston, it was decided William called himself Aston from his mother.

I am looking for confirmation in some way that I have the correct Twist family.
and would like to be able to identify the Twist relative transported.

The transported Twists, going back to 1830's, means it is difficult to establish their parents names and family, without the  benefit of census returns or birth certificate.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 April 12 03:47 BST (UK) »
Some  - all from FreeBMD

Birth Dec qr 1846, reg Birmingham
Andora BEARD

I see no marriages for an "Andora" of any surname from 1855 to 1890 on FreeBMD

Perhaps....... the only marriage for a William TWIST in 1861 is registered at Birmingham (Vol 6d p62) and the two brides on the same page are Mary Ann BAKER or Ann Maria STRANGE.  However  there is a marriage for a Mary Ann CREWLEY, reg Dudley 1854 and on the same page is Joseph BAKER so I guess that Mary Ann CREWLEY had been married before and was the Mary Ann BAKER shown in the 1861 registration.

This marriage certificate would be very helpful as it should (assuming they gave correct information) give William's father's name, address and occupation.  Someone on the Warwickshire Board amy have access to records.

Judith

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 April 12 04:34 BST (UK) »
Marriages Sep 1868
ASTON William    Birmingham    6d/190    
BEARDS Ann Dora Birmingham 6d/190

cANDO
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk