Author Topic: Uncle marrying his niece- 1899  (Read 3807 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uncle marrying his niece- 1899
« on: Monday 09 April 12 16:09 BST (UK) »
Was it possible and legal for an uncle to marry his niece after his wife had died ? The reason I ask is that it has happened in my family tree. It was a niece by marriage on his first wifes side. Both marriages were performed in church .would it not have been frowned upon by the community ? I would be interested in any information with regards to the legal aspect of this marriage. Thankyou.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle marrying his niece- 1899
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
Looking at the thread you quote, Stan, I dont think it covers 'dead wife's neice' .... i.e. dead wife's brother or sisters child.    There would be no blood link, so as long as the wife was dead, surely it would be OK ??
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that!That clarifies it a lot better and quite interesting as  both aunt and niece were married in the same church eighteen years apart from each other.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
Looking at the thread you quote, Stan, I dont think it covers 'dead wife's neice' .... i.e. dead wife's brother or sisters child.    There would be no blood link, so as long as the wife was dead, surely it would be OK ??

"Wife’s brother’s daughter" and "Wife’s sister’s daughter" are on Stan's list. I don't think it matters whether there was a blood link or not.

Alexander

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I was just going to post that  :)
Stan

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
Not totally sure of attitudes to this specific situation, but I have found marriages of deceased wife's sister - which was forbidden in the Table of Kindred and Affinity until changed by Act of 1907, and these in churches where the truth would be known, so a blind eye was being turned. A possibility in this case too, I wonder?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 12 17:06 BST (UK) »
Very interesting!I would not have known the link until I obtained all the relevant certificates to prove the case.It must have been accepted by the family as all were living around that area of Bolton,Lancashire at the time and would have known.They were full blood lines also.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 April 12 17:11 BST (UK) »
Not totally sure of attitudes to this specific situation, but I have found marriages of deceased wife's sister

These marriages were illegal, under Civil Law, from 1835 until the Marriage (Prohibited Degrees of Relationship) Acts, 1907 that is the Deceased Wife's Sister Marriage Act, 1907. However many couples ignored the law, and many clergy overlooked it. In fact there were petitions from clergymen who implored that a Bill might be passed, since many of their parishioners had already married their sisters-in-law, under the belief that this was the best thing for the children, and of course it was the best thing for the children.

Stan