Author Topic: Imray/Davidson: Banchory-Ternan *COMPLETED THANKS*  (Read 4536 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Imray/Davidson: Banchory-Ternan *COMPLETED THANKS*
« on: Monday 09 April 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
Euphemia Imray (aka Imrie, Imery, Imerie - depending on where you look!) married my 2xGGF, George Craven, in abt 1827 in Banchory-Ternan.  3 of their grandchildren had 'Davidson' as a Christian name (Catherine Helen Davidson, Matilda Rose Davidson and Catherine Davidson).  Because Davidson comes up in the grandchildren (2 by son John and one by son Thomas), I believe that Davidson could have been a family name in the Imray side.  Does anyone have any idea if this is so?  I can find nothing on the Craven side that would support that it came from them.  Are there Imrays and Davidsons who are related in or around Banchory today?  Euphemia's mum was Mary Anderson...so it's not a maiden name from the great-granny. 
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Imray/Davidson: Banchory-Ternan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

At Inchmarlo House Banchory Ternan in 1881 Patrick Davidson(Professor of Law , JP , Advocate) and
his wife Mary Ann(nee Leslie ?) have 2 daughters
Matilda Rose Davidson born 1852 Aberdeen
Katherine Helen Davidson born 1845 Aberdeen

I would think that combination of names would be fairly rare in Banchory Ternan  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 09:24 BST (UK) »
ev, you Fount of All Knowledge, I bow to your superior skills!  All is now explained.  The father of Catherine Helen Davidson Craven and Matilda Rose Davidson Craven, George (2nd son of the above-mentioned ancestor) was, in 1871, gamekeeper living at Inchmarlo House Farm.  Can't understand why his brother Thomas named his child Catherine Davidson Craven, as he was in 1871 at Mollar Lodge, also as a gamekeeper.  I am sure that Mollar Lodge was on the estate of the Burnett Ramsays (the Ramsay Baronets of malmain, Kincardine - after whom he named a son).  Maybe he too had been a gamekeeper, or assistant, on the Davidson estate previously.  Anyway, I do thank you for the quick solution to my little riddle.  We are travelling up to Banchory tomorrow so maybe I can find out some more from the local area.  It surprises me, though, that they would name their children with the EXACT names of their employers' children and not give them at least one name of their own!

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 09:47 BST (UK) »
I went looking for Matilda Craven in 1881 but could not find her with the family
Looks like Matilda and Catherine(Craven) both died young  :(

Did see Matilda R Davidson and Catherine H Davidson in Banchory Ternan(1881) and thought it was worth a look

Checked their Births/Baptisms for the middle names(Rose/Helen)

Just lucky that Matilda is not a very common name  ;)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Imray/Davidson: Banchory-Ternan *COMPLETED*
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
ev:  Just back from our trip to Banchory - had high hopes of finding out all sorts of stuff, but it wasn't to be.  Inchmarlo House is now a big care home, no-one had any idea of where the Davidsons might be and thus whether or not there would be any employment records.  Crathes Castle is now Scottish National Trust but I may be able to find some Craven records (of Geo. Sr and 2 other gamekeeper sons) from the Laird or his son (they have their own website apparently).  There is a good library in Banchory and I may be able to contact their archivist once I have everything together.  I could only find one Craven grave in the churchyard, although it was snowing at the time :) so I couldn't get the information on the 2 children - I shall have to bite the bullet and buy some more SP credits for that I think!  Thank you for taking the time with my enquiry.

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Imray/Davidson: Banchory-Ternan *COMPLETED THANKS*
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
You could have a look here -

http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php

Banchory-Ternan
Stone 200 has Matilda and Catherine Craven but no date
Stone 383 may also be of interest

ev