Author Topic: CAMPBELLS IN KILLIN PARISH?  (Read 12181 times)

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPBELLS IN KILLIN PARISH?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 February 21 23:00 GMT (UK) »
My Campbell left in 1795 - in the National Archives in Edinburgh I found letters to the Earl of Breadalbane from Peter Campbell (Duncan's son) about his son Duncan and his anger that the Earl was not providing son Duncan with the croft that had been promised him for serving in the Earl's militia.  The time frame was right - and although I would never suggest that this is my family, I suspect that this is the kind of thing that pushed him to load up his wife and child (children?) and head for the States in 1795. I have checked every single records regarding him that I can find - including naturalization papers - and I have never found any suggestion of where in Scotland he came from.  However, I got lots of help from very knowledgeable researchers in Edinburgh and they agree with me that the similarity of family names and the time period seems to lend itself to Killin, Perthshire.  And we did find Kiders in Angus - don't know anything about them, but contrary to everything I had heard previous - there WERE Kiders in Scotland in the 18th century!!  Researching in the National Archives was such a treat - hope to have the pleasure again - but I'm not going back unless I learn more about this family.  I stayed in the Kenmore Hotel (est 1572!!) very close to Killin and it was a real pleasure to see the beautiful country that my ancestors called home.  I can see why they settled where they did - same woods, rolling hills and green green terrain - in Ohio.

Lynne

Use the following map to locate place names as it has the parish boundaries as reflected in records (here is Lix):
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=56.43952&lon=-4.35476&layers=5&b=1

I have broken down the place names for Killin here:
https://www.mckercher.org/Places?locale=Killin

The birth date on Duncan Campbell's tombstone is roughly the same as that of the birth of a Duncan May 2nd 1768 to a Duncan Campbell & Elizabeth Malloch who were residing at Crannigh/Crannich for his birth on the north shore Loch Tay in what is Kenmore today.  They were previously residing in Moirlanich, Killin (previously Kenmore) for the births of earlier children.

Be aware that there were Campbells alias McIllehuaish residing in Crannich.  There is either a separate Duncan or the same Duncan married to an Ann Malloch at Carie (in Crannich area).  He was a Soldier in the Edinburgh city guard.

Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 February 21 10:55 GMT (UK) »
And we did find Kiders in Angus - don't know anything about them, but contrary to everything I had heard previous - there WERE Kiders in Scotland in the 18th century!! 
That is very interesting, because a general search for Kider on Scotland's People produces just one result, in 1861. A search for Kidder produces 45, of which two are in the 17th and two in the 18th century.

The National Records of Scotland has one reference to Kider, in 1611, and two to Kidder, one in 1812 and one in 1938.

I'd be very interested to know where you found references to Kiders in Angus in the 18th century?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 22:46 BST (UK) »
If the letter you referred to was a petition from your Duncan's father Peter (in which case Duncan's son will also have been called Peter if he was the eldest son as per the Scottish naming pattern) then the closest family to Killin would be Patrick and Elizabeth Campbell who had their son Duncan baptised in Comrie on 4 Feb 1769. The younger brother of Duncan was John.   However there is another candidate baptised the same year at Comrie to parents John and Catherine!
There are 6 other possibilities in Perthshire. As already suggested, histories of the area where he settled may give you valuable clues. People tended to settle near folkvfrom the same area back home.
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline CorneliaHughes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 July 22 15:36 BST (UK) »
TropiConsul, Isabell is my 5th great grandmother too...we are cousins!
Cornelia