Author Topic: CAMPBELLS IN KILLIN PARISH?  (Read 12065 times)

Offline lnroberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPBELLS IN KILLIN PARISH?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 June 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
I saw that - in fact I asked someone from Killin who was helping me to tell me where Comrie was.  That is exactly the kind of record that I could not specifically tie into my Campbell family - but was so very close, could easily have been "my Catherine" - the dates are certainly right.  If I can't locate any other locally held records, I'm probably at the end of my research road.  I'm also digging on - looking for any surviving relatives of the family who might have family records.  But I think I've tapped everything possible at this time at the Archives - and I KNOW I've really covered the OPR's.

I really do appreciate all your suggestions - it continues to be so helpful to "chat" with other knowledgeable researchers like you all - especially people who really understand the ins and outs of Scottish history and research.  Every time I get one, it sends me back to re-look at my records and re-evaluate my assumptions.  I think now I'm going back to re-look at Pennsylvania records.  I know they stayed in Pennsylvania before they settled down in Ohio - but as with Scotland - I don't know where they were.  Lots of Scotch-Irish in Pennsylvania - not so many Scots.  And one historian stated that Scots tended to stay in well-developed areas and didn't adventure into the frontier like the Scotch-Irish did.  However, Duncan Campbell, Scotsman, followed the frontier (was the first constable of his Licking county, Ohio township) as did his son, Peter.  Anyway - the search goes on - and thanks again -

Lynne
http://www.lynnesgenealogy.com

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 June 12 01:18 BST (UK) »
Do not despair. NEVER SURRENDER!  Emerging technology may provide the answer.  I found reams of information when Google Books became available.  Sadly, it is no longer as open and accessible as it was in the beginning.   Of course, the job is easier when you google a name like Balthazar Pistorius.  Campbells are pretty thick on the ground!

I am a descendant of Isabel Campbell, my 5th great grandmother, of whom I know her parents and siblings to be:

Husband:   Duncan Campbell Of Easter Lix, Perthshire, Scotland
     Chr. 12 Mar 1715 Killin, Perthshire, Scotland
Husband's father: Patricke Campbell
Husband's mother: Jean or Catherine ncKnab
Wife: Isabel Carmichell Chr. 27 Apr 1717 Killin, Perthshire, Scotland
Wife's father: John Carmichell
Wife's mother: Margrat Stewart
Children
Jannet Campbell  13 Nov 1732 Killin, Perth, Scotland
Charles Campbell 17 Jan 1735 Killin, Perth, Scotland
Patrick Campbell 20 Jan 1736 Killin, Perth, Scotland
Isabell Campbell 3 Jul 1737 Killin, Perth, Scotland Residing 1754 Kenmore     
    Spouse Patrick Campbell -Married 18 May 1754 Kenmore, Perth, Scotland
Duncan Campbell 7 Oct 1739 Killin, Perth, Scotland
Jannet Campbell 3 Jul 1741 Killin, Perth, Scotland
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline lnroberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 June 12 01:45 BST (UK) »
Now that's really interesting.  Where the heck is Easter Lix?  I'll have to check all of my maps.  All the names coincide with my family.  No James - no Colin - and I found out that Patrick and Peter are interchanged??  Someone told me that at the Scottish Genealogical Society in Edinburgh.  Floored me.  The 'children' in your family would coincide with the generation of parents to my Duncan/Christian.  I was interested to see that Isabell Campell married Patrick Campbell 1754.  My Duncan b. 1768 - son named Peter, daughter Isabella. The Peter Campbell letters that I found in the Archives would have coincided with this generation, too. 

Don't worry - I'm not giving up.  But I'm old, and I know that there's more than one way to skin a cat - so if I have no luck in Scotland right now, I'll find something else.  Don't know what, but I'll keep looking.  Thanks for the information about your family.  I've copied it and it's in my file now.

Lynne

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 June 12 03:07 BST (UK) »
Easter Lix, Middle Lix, and Wester Lix are located southwest of Killen.  Duncan Campbell of Easter Lix appears on "Statistics of the Annexed Estates, 1755-1756" as one of the tenants who was forced off the land of the estate forfeited by the Jacobite, James Drummond, 4th Earl of Perth. 

Plan of Lix, Part of The Perth Estate
Organisation The National Archives of Scotland
Site ID RHP3490
Date 1755
Description 'A Plan and survey of Lix ... part of the Estate of Perth'. By William Cockburn
[1:8900] 1 in = 10 Scottish chains 46 x 65 cm
Farm plan of Middle, Wester and Easter Lix coloured to show farm boundaries. Steadings, yards, road and new bridge noted. Table of contents giving acreages of meadow, arable, moor, and moor on the hill. Ornamental title. Relief by grey wash.
Access No digital image for this item is available. To view this item, please contact the NAS quoting the Site ID for this item.
Archival History: Exchequer Records: Forfeited Estates 1745: Particular Management: Perth Estate, Perth County (E777)
Co-ordinates: 56.4279N, 4.5489W

Extracts of Statistics from the Annexed Estates for Western Strathearn - 1755-56
EXTRACTS OF STATISTICS FROM THE ANNEXED ESTATES OF PERTH FOR WESTERN STRATHEARN - 1755 - 1756
At this sad time we are fortunate the Commissioners of the Forfeited Estates recorded also the names of the people who lived on the sequestered lands of the Earl of Perth, and this record is invaluable. Not only were the names recorded but also a listing of those under 10, between 10 and 17, and above 17 years of age, divided by sex, as well as in the following categories: number who spoke the English language, number of those who spin, their stock sub-divided into horses, black cattle, sheep, swine, goats, number of acres in tillage, number of acres in hay, pecks sown divided between flax seed and potatoes, total rent in Sterling money, including the different Articles which the rent is composed, computing the conversion in pounds, shillings and pence. It can be construed as one of the earliest censuses in Great Britain!  Add to this all those people in other areas under control of the Earl such as the barony of Lix, the barony of Ballquhidder, the barony of Auchterarder, the barony of Kinbuck, the barony of Callendar, the barony of Strathgartney and the barony of Stobhall - all lying outwith our story, and it is evident that the Earl held sway over thousands of honest, hard working folk. All were beholden to the noble Earl for their liveliehood, income, security, prospects et al. If the noble Earl had wished it in years gone past he could have hanged them, banished or evicted them, branded them and made them fight and die for him. It is also evident that there were some considerably high costs related to being a tenant of the said noble Earl. This configuration was, of course, similar to all the belted Earls, landed gentry and estate owners in Scotland and most of Great Britain

Lix Stirling --
A location in Stirling Council Area, Lix comprises the scattered settlements of Wester Lix, Mid Lix, Easter Lix and Lix Toll which lies at the junction of the A 85 road from Glen Ogle to Crianlarich and the A 827 road to Killin  and Loch Tay. Early clachan settlements here were excavated in the 1960s by Horace Fairhurst of the University of Glasgow.

"At the Core of History" by James Irvine Robertson published in Scotland Magazine relates the following: "The 4th Lord Drummond was created Earl of Perth in 1605. His son, the 2nd Earl, fought with the pro-Royalist army of the 1st Marquis of Montrose. James Drummond, 4th Earl of Perth, became Lord High Chancellor of Scotland in 1684 and converted to Catholicism on the accession of the Catholic James VII of Scotland and II of England. His brother, Lord Melfort was Secretary of State.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 June 12 05:57 BST (UK) »
When I first encountered the concept of interchangeable forenames it was the case of an individual who had been recorded in documents as Donald or Daniel Campbell.  The two names do not sound to be a close phonetic match, but the reality for the population of the highlands and islands was that Gaelic was the tongue one learned at the mother's breast and the English or "Braid Scots" that is found in parish and official records is an irregular approximation of the native speach  that has been interpreted or transliterated by a minister or clerk who may have little or no knowledge of the Gaelic.  The following is a rare instance in which the minister is a published scholar of the Gaelic language.

"Donald Campbell lawful son to James Campbell sawyer residing in the said parish and Christian Forbes his Spouse and Baptized on the seventeenth day of August the said year by the Reverend Duncan McFarlane minister of the Gaelic Chapel in Perth.  West Church parish Perth the 3rd day of August one thousand eight hundred twenty-three was born."

Offline lnroberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 June 12 06:48 BST (UK) »
I was clued in about the Gaelic - spent some time with Irish friends after I left Scotland and she, who is a fairly fluent Irish-speaker, explained some of it to me.  But the wonderful staff at the SGS really filled me in on the names business. 

I had been thinking that my family had been located more in the Breadalbane territory - I don't want to limit myself, but that's where any interesting material seems to send me.  My next research project is to locate information about the fencibles under Breadalbane - who was enlisted and where they served. 

Where are you located - are you in the UK?

Lynne

Offline stmha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hope you dont mind me leapfrogging into this conversation but I am looking for an Angus Cambell from Killin, born abt 1821 and his fathers name was Hugh. Angus is on the 1841 census serving in the 96th regminent in Bolton on Le moors in England. Trying to break into Scottish genealogy isnt proving easy.any help would be great.
King, Hart, Abrahams, Lemon, Dicks, Oesterman, Wertheim, Denenberg, Wilchinski, Hearn, Samuel, Kalman, Levy, Ogus, stargardt

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in this thread. I believe my ancestor, Robert Halliday (Haliday, Holiday) was baptized in Killin in 1781. I don't have a copy of that record, only of his brother Archibald, baptized in 1786. It reads: Thomas Haliday and Anne Campbell, Clifton, had their lawful son bap. called Archibald. (Clifton was a village within the Parish of Killin whose industry was mining iron-ore, so there is a good chance that Thomas was a miner - Robert, certainly, was a coal miner.).

I don't know if Thomas Haliday was a native of Killin but perhaps Anne Campbell was? On the same page as Archibald's bap. record is that of twins Colin and Jean, children of James Campbell and Katharine Robertson, baptized on November 6th, 1786.(Record reads: "Novr 6th Jas. Campbell & Kat. Robertson, Monimore (aka Monemore) had their lawful twins bap. called Colin & Jean")

So I am looking to find out more about the Haliday and Campbell families of this time. Both Robert and Archibald left Perth for Lanarkshire (perhaps their parents did as well?) where they married and later died.
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 February 21 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hope you dont mind me leapfrogging into this conversation but I am looking for an Angus Cambell from Killin, born abt 1821 and his fathers name was Hugh. Angus is on the 1841 census serving in the 96th regminent in Bolton on Le moors in England. Trying to break into Scottish genealogy isnt proving easy.any help would be great.

Do you have Angus' childrens names along with his wife's name?

There are at least two Hugh's that could possibly be Angus father.  There was a Hugh Campbell and Christian McNaughton married 1804 and residing at Suie.  There is a Hugh Campbell and Ann Dewar married 1814 and residing at Craignavie.

Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org