Author Topic: 365 BTY 115 Heavy Anti Aircraft Regt 1941/2  (Read 905 times)

Offline Phm1942

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
365 BTY 115 Heavy Anti Aircraft Regt 1941/2
« on: Tuesday 10 April 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
My father was with 365 Battery 115 HAA in 1941 stationed at Longhope, Hoy, Orkney. He died in Oldmill Emergency Hospital Aberdeen on the 22nd May 1942. My mother saw him before he died but he never regained conciousness. She said he was burnt black with oil and died from asphyxia. I have tried to find out what happened to him as did my mother, but to no avail. Official Secrets possibly. I have seen the war diaries for the 115th HAA (WO166/2405 and WO166/7483). There is no mention of his death. He had attended a course of water duties and my mother thought he may have been on a ship which seems very likely. His name was Arthur Burkes White and he was a Lance Bombardier. Prior to the 115th HAA was with the 361st HAA at Blackpool where he took part in a concert for the troops at the invitation of his CO. Arthur had trained as an opera singer before the war. Any information or ideas for further research into the death of Arthur would be very welcome. Regards, Peter.

Offline sheldonesque

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 365 BTY 115 Heavy Anti Aircraft Regt 1941/2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 12:05 BST (UK) »
There appears to be a little confusion as to which Battery of the 115 HAA he was serving with at his death. You stated that he was with the 365th Battery but his CWGC entry states 361st Battery:

http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2421865/

The unit he was with for the concert you mentioned is the same one as he died in.

The diary for this particular Battery doesn't seem to be available at the NA. Have you tried contacting the RA Museum?

http://www.firepower.org.uk/research/index.asp

Offline Phm1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 365 BTY 115 Heavy Anti Aircraft Regt 1941/2
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your info. I agree there is some confusion. Looking at the info I have it may be that he's parent unit was the 361st but my records state that he was Re-designated to the 115th and then attached to 365 Battery. This could well have been a temporary detachment. As you suggest, I may well be looking at the wrong war diaries. I have seen the CWGC record and I must admit it does conflict with the other records that I have. Got to be worth a look.  Again, thanks for your help. Regards, Peter.