Author Topic: Any Nautical Experts - Dating Required  (Read 4067 times)

Offline eastender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Any Nautical Experts - Dating Required
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 July 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malky,

A very interesting account of an historic ship. However, my picture only features one line of port-holes which, it seems, may be dummies anyway. There are so many ships similar to mine out there it is going to be a pretty hard task to identify it. Thanks for the link though. I'm learning a lot on my journey to identify this vessel.

Wocha, Vocha, Vautier, Dehais, Delahayes, Horsburgh, Lucas, Roe, Vaughan, Rosser, Tully, Osborn, Dick. Huguenots.

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 July 12 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Eastender,
Are you sure that the painting is not signed? I can see something that looks like it could be a signature at the bottom. See attached snip. Scan is too low res to enlarge for a better look, but you could use a magnifying glass on the original.

Cheers,
Carmela
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 July 12 08:51 BST (UK) »
Eastender, the link for the history I supplied was for one of the 4 navy ships called HMS Serapis. There was the one I posted, the one you posted, a steam driven destroyer, scrapped in 1934 and a S-class Destroyer used during the second world war.

Regards

Malky

Offline eastender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 July 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Carmela, for your post. I've had another good look for a signature. I think what may have looked like a name in low resolution is probably a brush mark or something. I've attached a better resolution picture of the area you indicated.
Wocha, Vocha, Vautier, Dehais, Delahayes, Horsburgh, Lucas, Roe, Vaughan, Rosser, Tully, Osborn, Dick. Huguenots.

Offline 251 richmond road

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 July 12 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Eastender,
I thought Carmela had something there, what a pity, you would imagine with all the detail and time the artist spent on it, that they would have signed it or written on the back of the frame.
Theres a lesson there for us all,  you might know who is in a photo or who painted a picture, but when you shuffle off so does that information.
I came across a piece on ship builders on Guernsy 1800's, I shall try to add the link.

http://www.museum.guernsey.net/download/shipbuilding.pdf 

Wheatley, Corrigan, Brennan, Jones, Hampson, Levey, Marshall, Mc Bride, Behan, Boland,

Offline eastender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 July 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
You, Sir, are a star!
Right near the bottom of the site is my wife's ancestor James Perrett. Now I need to find the names of the ships which are listed as having been built by him.

Offline eastender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 July 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
I have now got a list of ships built by James Perrett, courtesy of http://www.theislandwiki.org: six cutters, three schooners and two brigantines. Sadly, I don't think the ship pictured is any of these types. ???