Author Topic: Dougherty family Buncrana Donegal  (Read 21151 times)

Offline accrington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dougherty family Buncrana Donegal
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 February 13 20:24 GMT (UK) »
What I have is as follows:
My Grandmother Ann Maria Dougherty was born about 1864 in Buncrana (I don't have a birth certificate but calculated from age at marriage, death and censuses). Her parents were James Dougherty and Ann O'Donnell. On her English marriage certificate her father is Dougherty,  but on two of her brothers marriage certificates in Scotland, the parents are both named as Docherty.
Ann Maria Dougherty came to England, and married my grandfather James Lynch in Bootle. One brother James also came to Bootle and was a coal merchant. But he marrried a girl from Duntocher, Kirkpatrick.
Another brother Patrick went to Scotland and married a Catherine Lynch from Ireland !
The youngest bropther Joseph also went to Duntocher.

I find the Scottish marriage certificates very informative because they give the bride/groom's mother and father details with maiden name of mother. :)

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 February 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Interesting :)

On the marriage cert for Patrick Dougherty and Catherine Lynch....what was the name of Catherine's father? I would really love to know this as I have Lynches from the Buncrana area that moved to Scotland. My great grand aunt married one of them.

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline accrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 February 13 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Interesting :)

On the marriage cert for Patrick Dougherty and Catherine Lynch....what was the name of Catherine's father? I would really love to know this as I have Lynches from the Buncrana area that moved to Scotland. My great grand aunt married one of them.

mab

I only wish I could find the marriage certificate for Patrick Docherty and Catherine Lynch. I can't. It may be that they were married in Ireland and came over as a couple. I found the identity of Patrick's wife from his death certificate in 1945, aged 82. It shows him as married to Catherine Lynch.
I am also having great difficulty on the Scotlandspeople website locating births of Patrick's children. They are showing up on 1901 and 1911 censuses which indicate they were all born in Lanark, Partick. There were enough of them - at least ten. Am I missing something ? Any tips ?
 :'(

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 February 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find a marriage either so your not alone. They may have married in Ireland then.

I find that the Catherines that I have in my tree keep changing their name on various records. My great great grandmother was known as Catherine, Kate, Cassie and even Kathleen. Her gravestone has Kathleen but her death record has Catherine :-X   

I find when using Scotlandspeople I'm more successful if I use the "traditional soundex" option because there could be transcription errors.

mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline Paul Dougherty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 February 13 17:12 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather married Ellen Bannon fromDuntocher and moved to Bootle. My grandfather also James married Sarah Lynch whose father was Bernard.witnessatthe wedding was Thomas Lynch.

I am stuck trying to find info re the family in Buncranna before 1855

Offline accrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 February 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for soundex tip. I'll have a go with it. :)
I couldn't find a marriage either so your not alone. They may have married in Ireland then.

I find that the Catherines that I have in my tree keep changing their name on various records. My great great grandmother was known as Catherine, Kate, Cassie and even Kathleen. Her gravestone has Kathleen but her death record has Catherine :-X   

I find when using Scotlandspeople I'm more successful if I use the "traditional soundex" option because there could be transcription errors.

mab

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 February 13 17:42 GMT (UK) »
When you found Patrick in the census was he living in Bothwell???

I having the hardest time finding Anna Marie in 1891.

Offline accrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 February 13 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi!,
We are distant relatives. I have the James Dougherty/ Ellen Bannon marriage certificate. James was living in Pleasant Place in Bootle at the time -1888. My grandfather James Lynch was in the next Street -Pleasant View and married James's sister Anne Maria Dougherty in the same year. Anne Maria, James and family moved to Florida Street Bootle, where my father was born 1n 1900. When my grandfather died in 1931 Anne Maria lived with various relatives and for a long time with my Aunt Catherine Sankey in Crosby, (where I spent my childhood)). I met her before she died in 1951
 :)
My great grandfather married Ellen Bannon fromDuntocher and moved to Bootle. My grandfather also James married Sarah Lynch whose father was Bernard.witnessatthe wedding was Thomas Lynch.

I am stuck trying to find info re the family in Buncranna before 1855

Offline accrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 February 13 18:16 GMT (UK) »
When you found Patrick in the census was he living in Bothwell???

I having the hardest time finding Anna Marie in 1891.

Patrick was living with his wife Catherine and then 7 children in  Partick, Lanarkshire.

In 1891, Anne Maria (Annie) and husband James Lynch, my grandparents, were at Stafford Street Bootle.