Author Topic: Can anyone help me find Anna Maria HARSE please?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me find Anna Maria HARSE please?
« on: Thursday 12 April 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
Anna Maria HARSE was in Axbridge Union Workhouse in 1851 aged 2.  With her are Hannah HARSE aged 41 and Joseph HARSE aged 11.  Joseph and Anna's place of birth is given as Weare and Hannah's is given as South Brent.

I am pretty certain that Hannah (nee ATWELL) was baptised in Weare, Somerset on 3 Dec 1809 and that she married a Joseph HARSE/HEARSE in Bristol in 1835.  Their son Joseph was born in Newport, Mon in 1839 and the family were there in 1841. 

The family were living in Nailsea, Somerset when another son Thomas was born in 1847.  Joseph HARSE Snr died at Pill, Somerset in September 1849 followed by his 2 year old son Thomas in the October.  The informant for both was Emma HARSE who was present at the deaths and I now know her to be Joseph's adult daughter from a previous marriage. 

There is a likely sighting of Anna Maria in 1861 in Hopkins Street, Weston-super-Mare.  Anne HARSE is 11 years old, born Pill, Somerset and a boarder with the Fisher family.  Hannah is remarried to William HARES and is also living in Hopkins Street, WsM with a lodger Joseph HURST aged 18 who was born in Newport, Mon. 

I have always assumed that Anna Maria was Hannah's daughter and therefore Joseph's sister.  However, I now realise that I have no proof of this as the only two records I have for Anna/Anne do not show any family relationships.   I really should know better by now...   :-[

If anyone can help me find a birth/baptism for Anna/Anne or what happened to her/them I would be very grateful.

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me find Anna Maria HARSE please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 12 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

There is a possible in 1871 at RG10/2514/68/25.

Regards

Charles

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Charles,

Thank you very much for that one.  Certainly looks a possibility, so will investigate further.

Last night I also found an Anna Maria Hurst (born c1849) on a ship to Australia in 1869.  Haven't been able to find any other Australian records so far though.  Hannah Atwell had a daughter Louisa.  Louisa's son went to Australia but will have to check where and when. 

Debbie

Offline Charles

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
Debbie also in 1871 there is an "Anna M Ham" (Ancestry's transcription) which could be "Harse" - born Weare living Clevedon. There doesn't seem to be an Anna M Ham birth to account for her though that's not necessarily significant given that the registrations had only been going for about 13 years and people fell through the net.

The reference is RG10/2514/19/16.

Charles