Author Topic: Gunner Family of Croydon  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gunner Family of Croydon
« on: Thursday 12 April 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
Am looking for any infomation on the Gunner family of Croydon. I have William who married prior to 1833, to Jane 1806-1875. They seemed to have moved between Enfield and Croydon where they eventually settled and had the following children-
Catherine 1833 Croydon, William 1835 Croydon, James 1837 Enfield, George 1839 Enfield (my great great grandfather), Jane 1840 Enfield, Stephen 1842 Enfield, Esther 1844 Croydon, David 1847 Croydon.

I have been unable to find birth records for William and Jane so have taken the date and place of birth from the census records. William is shown in the 1881 census as being born in Enfield but shown as being born in Croydon in the 51,61 & 71 records with a DOB ranging between 1807 & 1809 . The only William I can find that was christened in Croydon was in 1813 to James and Elizabeth and I can find no births in Enfield. There is a marriage between a William and Jane Gray in 1831 in West Norwood which would seem to be a good possibility. She is shown in the census records as being born in Enfield but I have been unable to find a birth for a Jane Gray from Enfield.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gunner Family of Croydon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 23:12 BST (UK) »
have you confirmed Jane's Maiden name from a child's birth certificate after 1837?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 12 01:22 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that the William Gunner bp'd 1813 to James and Elizabeth is indeed your William Gunner.

His wife was older than him and he may well have added a few years to his actual birthdate.   First 2 children were William (name of his wifes father) and James (his own?).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 12 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Annette, does seem to make sense that this is the William I am looking for. The 1881 census listing him from Enfield never made sense as the family have always lived around Croydon. There are some records held at the Croydon library so I will see if I can take the family back from there.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea