Author Topic: exporting gedcom files to treemaker on GR  (Read 1914 times)

Offline gazza

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
exporting gedcom files to treemaker on GR
« on: Wednesday 18 May 05 11:05 BST (UK) »
I maintain my familytree info on Genes Reunited. Now & then I export the tree  gedcom file to my family tree maker programme 2005.
However ,what I have noticed is all the "notes" I have made on individuals on GR to do not get exported to tree maker,just the basic tree.
Any suggestions?
Perhaps an incompatability problem?

Offline biglou

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Ex £10 Pom
    • View Profile
Re: exporting gedcom files to treemaker on GR
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 05 10:09 BST (UK) »
Gazza,

I think you would be better off using Family Tree Maker to maintain your tree, with notes etc, and Genes Reunited to publish the basic tree on the web. I don't think that you can have anything other than the basic tree on GRU. The Gedcom output from GRU only contains basic info.  GRU gedcom import will ignore all information other than the basic tree.

Export the Gedcom file from FTM and import into GRU (after deleting existing tree). An advantage of this method is that your names on GRU become "new" again each time you import a new Gedcom and therefore increasing the chance of somebody noticing them.

Paul
NORTHANTS:  Webber, Dickins/Dickens, Farmer, Facer, York, Tarry
WARWICKSHIRE:  Marston, Deacon, Nixon
CAMBRIDGESHIRE:  Webber
LEICESTERSHIRE:  Webber, Upton, Oram, Meadows, Gregory, Screaton, Deacon, Hollis, Jalland, Hassell, Neal
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE:  Screaton
YORKSHIRE:  Oram
LANCASHIRE:  Jalland, Screaton
DUBLIN:  Thompson, McLoughlin, Harbourne, Richardson, Murphy
SUFFOLK: Screaton
LONDON: Screaton

Offline gazza

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: exporting gedcom files to treemaker on GR
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 05 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul thanks for your reply. You have confirmed what I suspected. What a pain  :(