Author Topic: who is the daddy?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
who is the daddy?
« on: Friday 13 April 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
hello all,

here's a conundrum i have recently come across from the 1870's.

emily married faithfull and they had a family.
faithfull died and emily married his brother william and they added to the original family.

so william was emily's brother-in-law, husband, uncle to his nieces and nephews and father of his brothers childrens step brothers and sisters!

who said genealogy could be complicated?

tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
Re: who is the daddy?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I thought it was against the law for  women to marry there husbands brother, my aunt first husband died, and she got together with his brother, but had to wait some years, I think it was in the 1950's, before she could marry him after the law had changed.

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
hi margp

they married three years after the death according to the records.

census and bmd info indicate the same and of course she maintained her first husband's name given that she married his brother and his mother (emily's double mother-in-law) was living with them!

maybe desperate measures or the law was not so tight then.

tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Interesting circumstances!  :o ;D

According to the page linked to below, it was not until 1907 that the restriction on marrying one's deceased husband's brother was removed - so it seems that her second marriage was not legal.  I'm sure someone like stanmapstone would be able to elaborate on this.

http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
hi pru,

emily was 31 with three children when her husband died (also early 30's) i suppose necessity is the mother of invention was applied.

tony

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 April 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony :)

Yes, women (and men with families for that matter) did tend to get remarried ASAP after the death of a spouse.  I was just pointing out that the marriage was not legal at the time, so it would be interesting to know if, for example, they married in their home parish or one a bit further away (where the circumstances might not have been known).

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 April 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
hi pru

i'll check that out later, tune in for more spice!

tony

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 April 12 11:20 BST (UK) »

http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html

That's interesting.  I did not know that.  I have a number of male ancestors who, upon death of wife, went on to marry the dead wife's sister ....... particularly in the 1800s

cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that it was often a matter of how vigilant (or sympathetic) the parish priest was.  My great grandparents couldn't marry because they were uncle and niece by marriage, but in a different village in Derbyshire a relative married his deceased wife's sister - with apparently no problems.
Regards
Derby Girl
Winson, Derbys; Stanley, Sts; Franklin, Beds; Barker Sts etc. ; Farnham, Dorset; Harrison, Dbys, Leics.