Author Topic: Need more info on Chester Harrsion Callahan and Michael Callahan  (Read 7062 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need more info on Chester Harrsion Callahan and Michael Callahan
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 April 12 02:04 BST (UK) »
Was also finding nothing of use on the 1911 valerie...but will post a link to the results in case anything turns up  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l6h/ One in Peterborough, in the house of Providence...with no birth date but age is close...means nothing if that is he, back in Ontario, as inmate records aren't usually available for these institutions anyway.
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 April 12 02:40 BST (UK) »
good work J.J.
The Michael Collaghan  found in 1911 in Peterborough West is probably the right Michael. The original looks like Callaghan. He was born in 1864 age 47 which is close.

The reason that I think this could be the right person is because of the NWMP file. He was a chronic drinker and spent a lot of time in the guardhouse. he was also injured in an accident in 1891 which also contributed to his bouts of drinking and getting into trouble. He definitely had a head injury that was dismissed by the board of inquiry at the time and he was denied compensation for the injury.

The editor of the Peterborough newspaper tried to get help for him but wasn't successful. I think this is another avenue to explore.

The sister of Chester named Alice sent off a letter in 1959 looking for information on the first husband of her mother Lucy Harrison. She knew that he had served with the NWMP in 1892/93 so I am betting that this is the correct person just based on reading the file. He was definitely in Peterborough in 1910 as that is when the editor and a local MPP sent letters to the NWMP/RCMP headquarters and that was also when he was denied any help. He had started a claim in 1893 the day after he was discharged from the NWMP. After 17 years, I think that could have put him over the edge once again and into a home.

These are two sites that you might want to know about.
http://automatedgenealogy.com
you can check the 1901, 1906, 1911 census at this site and view the originals through the split screen/view option.

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html
you can check the 1881, 1891 census and the 1871 head of household for Ontario.
When you go to the microform digitization, you can also check the 1871 census in a couple of ways, by scrolling through the microfilm or by checking on the 1871 census about halfway down the help section and that will bring up the nominal roll where you can look by surname.

This is where we found the NWMP files. You can access directories for some cities and other info as well. It is a site that takes some getting used to but once mastered it is a great source of info.

I definitely think you have a lot more to go on than you did a few short days ago.

If you find anything that you want checked in the US, post it here first and someone may be able to help with the info. It is much easier for researchers if they can see all that has been found on one thread rather than searching through several and duplicating information that has already been found.

Val

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 April 12 03:07 BST (UK) »
ah, good, hence the reason I do post what I find as it can be tedious looking again and again if something rings a bell later..and I almost didn't post it since you'd said nothing to see there...but then wondered as you seemed to know his mental state...
Has anyone ever found a check all feature on that automatedgenealogy site as it certainly can be gruelling going through all misstranscriptions of a surname...I wanted to ask ages ago but they have closed off their forrum to new queries...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 April 12 03:17 BST (UK) »
I usually pick a province then go to a district such as Peterborough East and then go to surname and click on the first letter of the name and scroll down through all the surnames starting with the letter. I have found that to be the best way to find a mistranscribed name rather than typing names in over and over or using the merge feature. It works well if you have an idea of the district. If you have the district and subdistrict, you can do the same thing.

Val

It is late here in Nova Scotia so I will sign off for now and off to bed.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 April 12 03:34 BST (UK) »
Yeah, I do that too but I wanted an all Canada search as i didn't know he was back in Peterborough   :D
I am having a hard time finding this fellow on earlier census, so wonder if one or both parents passed young and he was maybe passed around and left home early...Or they are REALLY badly transcribed as I am trying all sorts of the usual tricks and can't get him...

So far I have found no D. Call*han in Dunnville 1891 or one with that might be his brother or family in Peterborough have you Val? Mind you it said he lived there, not that he was born there....

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 April 12 14:31 BST (UK) »
Wow, you are all so amazing!!  I have been doing research on my family and my husband's family off and on for a few years but it has been confined to just the U.S and what I can find for free.  When I started the research in Canada it was a bit overwhelming.  You have all made it so much easier for me and it looks like I have quite a bit of information to sift through.  Thank you for narrowing it down so much for me. 

I did scan through the NWMP files on Michael and it seems like a very sad story, but I also can now understand why Lucy left him with her young son.  I also found on the family search site that they have added Montana marriages and when looking up Alice Dennis (Chester's sister who wrote the letter) I find that she was married at least four times!  Not sure yet if she had any children.  I'm still looking for that just in case she did find more information about Michael and that her family might have it.

I have a very busy couple of days ahead for me so I will not be able to look at everything you have found but just wanted to make sure you knew how much I appreciate everyone's help.

Jill

PS This genealogy stuff can be so addicting!  It's almost like a treasure hunt or a jigsaw puzzle!

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 17:37 BST (UK) »
I am still very new at genealogy research but I think I found something interesting and wanted to share it with you to see if you think I'm on the right track.

I went through Michael Callaghan's NWMP file and found a letter of recommendation by Thomas Dewan who stated that he knew Michael since he was a child.

So I started with the 1861 Census and in Emily, Victoria, Ontario I found a Thomas Dewan who was 40 and married to Bridget Dewan who was 37.  There were several other Dewans listed including another Thomas age 14.  This was on sheet #44 line 28 - 39.  I believe the younger Thomas could be the one who wrote the recommendation letter.   I also found a Thomas Dewan in the 1901 census who was 52 and living in Battleford, Saskatchewan.   This would match close enough with the age of the younger Thomas and with the fact that Michael joined the NWMP in Battleford.

I then did a search in the 1861 census for Callahan and found several also in Emily, Victoria, Ontario.  Included in the list was Michael age 2.  From his NWMP file I determined that Michael was born in Sept. 1860 in Ontario.  What really got me excited is that these Callahans were also listed on sheet 44 lines 19 - 24.  Wouldn't this mean that they could have been neighbors?  This would match with Thomas Dewan saying he knew Michael since he was a child.

In the 1871 census I again found the Callaghans in Emily, So. Victoria, Ontario including Michael age 12.  I tried to find the Dewans but so far haven't found anything in that area that matches.

In the 1881 Census I found the older Thomas Dewan and some family members back in Emily, Victoria, Ont and what appears to be the younger Thomas living in Biddulph, Middlesex, North Ontario.  The same Callahan family I found earlier is also still living in Emily, South Ontario but this is where it appears that Michael is living in the household of Dennis Houlihan.

At this point I am feeling like it is is a very good possibility that I found Michael's parents and siblings but I wanted to see if you might agree.  The only glitch is that Michael listed his next of kin as a brother, D. Callaghan when he joined the NWMP.  I have not seen a brother's name that starts with D there is a brother Patrick.  I'm wondering if they misunderstood him and thought he said D instead of P.

It just amazes me to think that a week ago I was at a dead end and now it looks like a very good possibility that I found quite a few more of my husband's ancestors.

Thanks again for all your help,   Jill

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Valerie has found you a very fantastic resource, there, but you need more confirmation before hanging your hat on that family...Sept. does match the birth on the 1901 census...Sept 27 1862 Ontario

Notice that Michael and his wife Catherine are listed as born Upper Canada ( Ontario) not Ireland as stated on census... but that may have been a missconception of his heritage...
not sure why father Michael was listed later... http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l7r/
The older couple a few household previous could be ancestors to that family should you be able to prove this is the correct family...
that Michael in 1881 is too young to be yours is he not?? Not that it matters... but, the one with the Fitzgeralds matches better for age
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881CN_629801

They show as R Catholic so wonder if the births are listed

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 19:33 BST (UK) »
 ...Catherine's maiden name was Downey but only see son Patrick's 2 marriages thus far...
Here they are in 1881  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881CN_629957
Have a feeling about this due to the dating of it...only christenings will be available if that, not births, so no proof to be found there...
The search for the marriage might just be worth the expense...