Author Topic: Need more info on Chester Harrsion Callahan and Michael Callahan  (Read 7063 times)

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need more info on Chester Harrsion Callahan and Michael Callahan
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree that the Michael with the Fitzgeralds is a better match for age.  Don't know how I got so messed up with his age.  The Michael with the Houlihans would be much too young.

I have found Michael and Catharine Callaghan in the 1861, 1871, and 1881 census.  Each time they were living in Emily, Victoria, Ontario.  In 1861 both were said to be born in Upper Canada, in 1871 both were said to be born in Ontario, and in 1881 both were said to be born in Ireland.  Not sure which is correct....Ontario or Ireland.

I agree that these "sound" like they could be my husband's ancestors but would really love to have confirmation.  I guess I'll see what else I can dig up.

Jill

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
I was confused about the listing of names on the 1861 census also http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l7r/ and then I checked the information and noted on what line each name was recorded.  It turns out that Michael is on line 18 and Catharine is on line 19 and their children are listed in the correct order from line 20 to line 24.

Jill

Offline KarlPeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 April 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Jilian:

I am a direct descendant of Edgar Harrison and Alice Rogers/Rodgers.  Their children were Sarah Maria, m. Charles Edmund Campbell (my great-grandparents), Alice Jane (m. Isaac Andrew Pinkerton), Walter (m. Christina x and had daughters Erla & Mildred) and Lucie/Lucy (m. Michael Callahan).  I don't know much about your line from Lucie & Michael but I do know about your ancestors on the Harrison side.  Alice Rogers was the daughter of Patrick Rogers.  She died in Toronto in 1905.  She was Irish and Catholic.  Edgar Harrison was Anglican and from Norfolk.  He was sent to Ireland as a soldier, and they married at Charlemont, Loughgall Parish, Armagh, on 15 May, 1856--in the Church of Ireland.  She remained Catholic and died Catholic, but all their children wre raised Anglican. 

Edgar Harrison was the son of Henry Harrison (son of Gregory Harrison & Margaret Hannant) and Maria Culling.  I have the Culling family in one line back to 1711.  The whole lot of them were from Alpington and Coltishal and Little Porington and Yelverton and Howe, all in Norfolk.

My, this typiing is slow on this forum.

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information on the Harrison side of the family.  Some of this I had already found on the internet but you helped fill in some blanks.  It's amazing how easy it is to find some family history and how terribly hard it is to find others.

As an update to my Callaghan/Callahan search I have heard back from the Medicine Hat library with no luck finding any information.  They sent my email on to the city archives and so far they cannot find any information on Charles' birth or the marriage of Lucy and Michael.  They are still looking and I am not ready to give up.

Offline KarlPeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 00:48 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the L.D.S. site for the marriage?  Ontario has rotten records, thanks to the decision not to start them until 1869 and then to make reporting not mandatory until the mide-1880s.  When the churches stop sitting on the information to enrich themselves, genealogists will have a field day. 

Edgar Harrisoon was Baptized at Coltishal, Norfolk, 19 May, 1833.  He died somewhere in Ontario between 1871 and 1881.

He was the son of Henry Harrison and Maria Culling.  Henry was Bapt. 21 November, 1822 at Worstead, Norfolk; Maria was born in 1806 or 1807 at Alpington, Norfolk.  They were married on 30 October, 1827 at Norwich.  Henry died in England after 1855.  Maria died 31 January, 1894 at Lakenham, Greater Norwich.  They had eight children: Walter, George, Lucy, Edgar, Betsy, Frederick Sarah, Edwin.

Henry Harrison was the son of Gregory Harrison and Margaret Hannant.  Gregory was born before 1790 in England, and he died after 1813, in England.  Margaret was born and died in the same window in England.  Gregory was an Innkeeper.

The Cullings to come

Offline KarlPeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 00:59 BST (UK) »
By the way, Jilian, I am the son of Robert Douglas Perkins & Carolyn Louise Campbell.  Carolyn is the d/o Edgar Royal Campbell & Hannah Kathryn Berno.  Edgar, my grandfather, was the son of Charles Edmund Campbell & Sarah Maria Harrison.  Chas. E. Campbell's French Quebecker line goes back to 1635, when Robert Drouin arriived in Canada from Sées, France.

Sarah Maria Harrison was the eldest of the four children of Edgar Harrison and Alice Rogers.  The first two children were born in England; Walter was app. b. en route to Canada; Lucie was born at Newmarket, Ontario.

Sarah Maria Harrison bore fourteen children to Chas. Edm. Campbell.  The last of them, Ruth Montgomery Campbell, d. unm. in 2001, aged 100.  One of the others, Matilda McClure née Campbell, died in 1990 at the age of 102.  Sarah Maria died at Collingwood, Ontario (where, by the way, all 14 were born), on 4 January, 1901, only three weks after the birth of her last child.  Cause of death?  Childbed fever: the doctor didn't wash his hands.  More to come.

Offline KarlPeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 01:14 BST (UK) »
Maria Culling, wife of Henry Harrison, was the d/o John Culling & Sarah Flatman.  John Culling was b. 30 June, 1771 at Yelverton, Norfolk.  He m. her on 16 August, 1795 at Yelverton.  He died on 7 July, 1837 at Alpington.  Alpington & Yelverton are app. twin towns joined together.  Sarah Flatman (d/o Wm. Flatman & Sarah Ward) was Bapt. 26 May, 1773 at Howe, Norfolk.  She d. 29 August, 1816 at Saxlingham, Norfolk.  She bore John Culling nine children.

(Wm. Flatman was b. 1748 & d. 25 December, 1815 at Yelverton.  His wife, Sarah Ward, was born in 1739 and died 31 December, 1800, also at Yelverton.  They had 12 children.  I don't know more about them from earlier than this.)

The John Culling whom I've mentioned was the s/o John Culling, Sr. (s/o James Culling & Mary Mayor) and Lydia Parsons.  I don't know Lydia's pedigree.  I'll send the last bit on the Cullingses later.

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 04 May 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
Ok so the plot thickens.  I have contacted a researcher with the Medicine Hat Genealogical Society and she has sent me a copy of some pages from the Alberta Index to Birth, Marriage and Death Registrations prior to 1900.

On the pages, I have found that a Lucy Harrison was married on 16 Oct 1894 to someone in Medicine Hat.  I also see that a male Harrison was born in Medicine Hat on 24 Mar 1895 and that Lucy married Michael Callahan on 30 Nov 1895.  The birth date we had for Chester Callahan was 21 Mar 1895 so I am assuming this is him.  I have reference numbers for both marriages and for the birth.  The researcher said that she could look up the information the next time she is in Edmonton but she has no idea when that would be. 

So my question is if anyone knows of a researcher who would look up this information for a reasonable cost.  I am very curious who Lucy married in 1894 and of course what Michael's parents name were.

One question that may never be answered is if Chester Callahan is the biological son of Michael Callahan (they were married 8 months after his birth) or if the man Lucy married in 1894 is the biological father.

Jill

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 04 May 12 23:57 BST (UK) »
How exciting to have your searches underway...We have never had anyone offer to do lookups in Edmonton...
But you can try going in to the very first posting on this thread ( by hitting the modify button to the right of it) and changing the subject line name from Need more info on Chester Harrsion Callahan and Michael Callahan
 Edmonton Alberta - Need lookups please ...

then also add thi to the top of very first query
Please go to reply number 34 & 36 for lookup request information
or hit this link  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=592177.new;topicseen#new

then add your reply to this ( it will be #36) with your request and the registration numbers and details...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com