Author Topic: Need more info on Chester Harrsion Callahan and Michael Callahan  (Read 7064 times)

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need more info on Chester Harrsion Callahan and Michael Callahan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 April 12 03:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks valerie, I was thinking I had better post a link to the NWMP info and then got caught up in something else and had to run... Is there a date of birth for him in there? My computer is always so fast until those files come up...  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 April 12 04:34 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look to see what is in the files and some are similar to WW1 documents. I plan to read through the pages tomorrow and try to take notes to see if anything matches with what has been found or if I can find something that could be new.

Val

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 April 12 15:02 BST (UK) »
Val, thanks for all the info on the Harrison family.  I found out that Lucy's parents were Edgar Harrison and Alice Rodgers when I obtained the marriage license for Lucy and her second husband, Edward Dennis.  I did a google search for Edgar Harrison and was able to get some information from someone researching Lucy's sister.  I did some looking in the Canadian census but got  bogged down.  Thank you so much for finding it for me.

It looks like some of the information on Michael is a very good possibility of being the one I am looking for.  I will hold on to it and hopefully one day will be able to have more confirmation.  Unfortunately my husband's grandmother would never talk about Chester or his family.  His grandmother and all her siblings have since passed.  Also it appears from census records that Chester never remarried so there are no other relatives to contact for any information.

As for Lucy's divorce to Michael, it stated on her Montana marriage license that she was divorced.  In fact it also stated that her second husband was also divorced.  (This was in 1899 when Chester was only 4) On the 1900 Montana census it says that Lucy and Chester came to the US in 1896 when Chester was only one year old.  Until I got the marriage license for Lucy I assumed that Chester's dad had died.  (An interesting side note is that Lucy's second husband was 20 years older than her.  I always wondered if this was a marriage of convenience.  They did go on to have a daughter in 1907 that they named Alice)

As for religion, it does not specify religion on any of the census records I have for Lucy or Chester.  I looked at the marriage license again for Lucy and her second husband.  It states that they were married by the justice of the peace.  The marriage license and marriage certificate were dated the same day.  So they did not get married in the church. 

Thanks again everyone!  Jill

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 April 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
Edgar Harrison's profession was a tailor on the 1871 census but his son Walter was born in Quebec. DOB 27 Nov 1863 and baptized Quebec Garrison 31 July 1864.  Walter was the s/o Edgar a gunner in the Royal Artillery and wife Alice Rogers.

Debbie

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 April 12 15:23 BST (UK) »
Val,

I just looked at the file on the North West Mounted Police file on Michael Callaghan and was amazed to see the letter from Lucy's daughter Alice.  I now have her married name as I didn't have that before.  I will try to trace down her family and see if possibly someone has more information.  I'm very curious why she was trying to find information on her mother's first husband in 1959.  Especially since her half brother, Chester, passed away in 1955 and her mother, Lucy, died in 1949.  I would assume she was doing her own family genealogy. 

Wow, I can't wait to wade through the rest of this file and see what I can find.

Jill

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 April 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
I would suggest taking notes when going through the file as something may pop up that you will want to follow up on. The amazing thing about research now is that new info comes up all the time.

I would also suggest contacting the Medicine Hat Public Library and through the Ask A question section, see if they may have something on file that could help in your search. it won't cost anything to ask.
hope this site works and if not just google the library
www.mhpl.info/
go to About your Library - Library Services - Research Services - Ask a Question

Do you have the info on Edward, Lucy, Chester and Alice in 1910. It is available at an****ry.
Chester is transcribed as Chrater
residence for the family is Teton, Montana

Chester would have been old enough to fill out the WW1 Draft Card in the US so I would look for that as well.

Also, on the marriage certificate for Lucy and Edward, did she use her maiden name Harrison or married name Callaghan. We could use that info for research purposes. Also, did it give his place or birth or parents or anything. Never know when something will pop up and having that info can rule someone out or make the info a possibility.

Offline jilian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 April 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
I started to look at the file and realized that I need to pace myself as some of it is very hard to read.  Taking notes is a good idea.  I will also try the Medicine Hat Public Library as I had not thought of that.

I do have the US census records for Chester for 1900, 1910,1920 and 1930.  I also have his  WWI draft card but that didn't give me any more information.

As for Lucy's name on the marriage certificate she used Lucy Callahan as her name.  As for Edward Dennis it stated he was 51 (in 1898) and was born in Knoxville TN.  His parents were listed as Levi Dennis and Sarah Crippin. 

I do have some info for Edward Dennis but am more interested in the direct line of Chester Callahan and his parents (especially father Michael).

I can't thank all of you enough for your help!!  Jill

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 April 12 01:06 BST (UK) »
Do let us know if any pertinent information pops up...date of birth or other stats...family names, etc.
and it is our pleasure, as we love a good hunt that we can't find duplicated anywhere else...
I see no divorce in Canada...perhaps then she petitioned from the U.S. after the second husband proposed?
re: the NWMP files...If anything looks important, but you can't read it...
copy it to your computer and you can send it to me and I'll try my best to enlarge it and make it more legible...Usually the size of a file means it is a good resolution but in the case of some of those files it often means users who know how to make a scanner work...but don't know how to scan.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 April 12 01:28 BST (UK) »
I finally got through the file and it a very interesting read. All leads are to Dunnville Ontario and to Peterborough Ontario so I think I would contact the libraries in those areas to see if they may have any thing on the Callaghan family. The address for the sister Alice is also a place to look for information, again I would contac the library. They are sometimes a great source for local history and may be able to find an obituary for you.

I found a couple of possibles for Michael on the 1911 census but nothing conclusive.

If this is your Michael, Lucy would have had lots of reasons for divorcing him.

As J. J. stated, if you find anything else that we can help you with, let us know.

Val