Author Topic: Pocket Watch Thoughts, Please  (Read 1775 times)

Offline mairepad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pocket Watch Thoughts, Please
« on: Friday 13 April 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
There is a sterling silver pocket watch inscribed Thomas Young Aberdeen 1851

I have figured out the marks as best I can and conclude the town mark was Chester, (three sheaves of wheat around a sword) the letter mark indicates the year 1850, the lion shows that it is sterling, there is a mark which reads   "EK & co" and there is another mark that I believe is the identifying mark of John James of Liverpool, watchmaker. There is also what I think is a case number: 3473
 This is all based on research I did at the NYPL some years ago, and seconded by research I just did online.  The watchmaker ID and case number are not verifiable online. At least, not by me.
I have been trying to take a picture of the watch, no good results so far.

My question is this: If the case has a Chester mark, the watchmaker was, I think in Liverpool, and the inscription says Aberdeen does this mean that the case was purchased by the watchmaker and the watch was produced in Liverpool then sold in Aberdeen, or was it more likely that Thomas Young, the inscribee (Is that even a word?) obtained the watch in Liverpool, despite the Aberdeen inscription?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket Watch Thoughts, Please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I would say the case was made in Liverpool as were the works but by two different people. The case would have been sent to Chester for assaying, the other nearby assay offices were Sheffield and York. They would then have been paired up by the watchmaker ready for sale. The watch was then purchased by or presented to Thomas Young in Aberdeen. I can't find any reference to EK & co or John James in my book so probably not a major maker.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline mairepad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket Watch Thoughts, Please
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 12 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the reply. That helps me sort things out.