Author Topic: Bolas family or/and Cond family  (Read 20422 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Bolas family or/and Cond family
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks Wilcoxon, John appears to be the youngest son of William, as mentioned in the earlier will. Found him with 5 of his 7 named children in 1851 :)

Can't find William's death or burial though  :(

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
don't see any entries for William around that time.

Th last will you mentioned was John's - I assumed that was the will you were referring to.

You said:

On looking at the will again, it was written 26 Jan 1836.
The date of death is a bit messy so it might be May 1836, in that case it won`t be registered.
It will have to be a search in parish registers. Family Search doesn't seem to have them online.

These are my distant relatives too  but haven't looked at them for ages ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I've searched the Denbighshire, Shropshire and Montgoemryshire burials 1830-1840 and nothing showing for William and nothing in my earlier notes
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
His will says he died May 1838 as far as I can make out as it's smudged. This from an inner page - Testator died in the month of May 1838

see  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=370538.0;attach=455785;image

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 24 February 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
It was William's death I was looking for - found John's in Berriew thanks.

The date is smudged and I thought the 1838 had been changed to 1839 but in any event, I can't find William on the GRO site or FreeBMD. Tried a variety of spellings   ::)

FindMyPast has the Selattyn register - there's a gap from 1812 to 1838 burials - but nothing there for 1838 to 1840 (amazing register, gives dates of birth, death, abode, relationship and, in many cases, cause of death). A general search of Shropshire burials doesn't bring it up either.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 24 February 17 09:45 GMT (UK) »

The date is smudged and I thought the 1838 had been changed to 1839 

The will was proved in April 1839 so he couldn't have died in May 1839.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 24 February 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
The will was proved in April 1839 so he couldn't have died in May 1839.

I saw that it does look like the 8 has been written over to a 9 so checked anyway.....
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 24 February 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
All we know is that he died sometime between Jan 1836, when the will was signed and April 1839, when the will was proved. As it is recorded that he died May 183?, it must have been May, 1836, 1837 or 1838.

I'm related via his son, Thomas, the shoemaker's son, Edward.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 24 February 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it must have been May 1836 or 1837 then (though if the year is wrong maybe the month is too) so before registration and sadly missing from the burial register 🙁

My husband is descended from William's daughter Mary who married James Bolas, their son William who married Naomi Jones (she was killed by a train in May 1879 taking a shortcut home across the Cefn viaduct) and their daughter Mary Hannah....