Author Topic: William LEUCHARS b. 1863 Monichie  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William LEUCHARS b. 1863 Monichie
« on: Wednesday 18 May 05 12:45 BST (UK) »
I am researching one William LEUCHARS, born (according to the IGI) on 25 Jun 1863 at Monichie, Angus (Forfar), son of James LEUCHARS and Margaret MACKENZIE.  In the early 1890s he "emigrated" to the north of Derbyshire, England, where he set up a photographic studio in the town of Chesterfield.

According to the 1881 Census - which I extracted from the LDS CD-ROM version - he was already working as a "photographic artist" in his home town on Monichie at the age of 17.  The earliest record I have of him in Derbyshire is in an 1895 trade directory (probably compiled in late 1894) which shows him with a studio on the High Street, Chesterfield.  By the next trade directory entry (1899) the studio had moved to Market Place, also in Chesterfield.  The census of early April 1901 shows him aged 37, with wife Bessie (also 37, and born SCT) - no children - working as a "photographer - own account" and living at 30 Clarence Road.  I have later trade directory entries showing him still at Market Place until at least 1926.

I am interested in narrowing down his arrival in Derbyshire, and would therefore be very grateful for any sightings in Scotland, please.  In particular, I wonder if anyone could find:
- an entry for him in the 1891 Census,
- a marriage for him and Bessie, or
- any other information?

All of this is to fill out the biographic profile that I am building for this photographer, which will shortly be placed online as part of my web site devoted to Victorian & Edwardian Photographers and Photographic Studios in Derbyshire.  It is intended as an aid to dating old family photographs for family historians.  I am not related to this family, but I would appreciate any help.  Thank you very much for your time.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne
Tauranga, New Zealand

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: William LEUCHARS b. 1863 Monichie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 05 10:23 BST (UK) »
William Leuchars born 25 June 1863 son of James Leuchars Tailor and Margaret McKenzie.

James Leuchars and Margaret McKenzie married on December 19th 1856 in MONIKIE, Angus.

James Leuchars was 21 at the time of his marriage, his parents are listed as being
John Leuchars ( Ag Lab) and Janet Bathie.  His address was listed as being Newbigging (sic)

Margaret McKenzie was 20 at the time and her parents are listed as being Thomas McKenzie ( deceased) and Margaret Wilson. Her address at the time was 20 Reform Street, Dundee.

18 Dec 1838 LEUCHARS WILLIAM

Father John Leuchars
Mother Janet Bathie

21 Dec 1841 LEUCHARS ELIZABETH

Father John Leuchars
Mother Janet Bathie

26 Jan 1834 Leuchars John married  Janet Bathie  in Murroes

(Muirhouse or Murroes, a parish in Forfarshire; about 5 miles from Dundeeikie)

On the 1871 Census I found the following:-

James Leuchars Master Tailor aged 35 born in Forfar

Margaret Leuchars Tailors wife aged 36 born in Dunfermline

Jessie Leuchars daughter aged 13 born Monikie

Alexander Leuchars Son aged 10 born Monikie

William Leuchars Son aged 7 born Monikie

Margaret W Leuchars Daughter aged 5 Born Monikie

James Leuchars died on May 29th 1898 in St Andrew, Dundee aged 59 years

William Leuchars married Betsy Ogilvie Simpson on 20th June 1888 in Forfar

William's occupation listed as Photographic Artist and Betsy was a teacher.

Her parents are listed as James Simpson Stone Mason and Jessie Simpson nee Byars.

Margaret McKenzie ( Williams mother deceased at the time of his marriage).

I found William on the 1891 Census for Elswick in Northumberland and if you get in touch will send you the image... just him and Bessie... no children

Betsy Ogilvie Simpson was born December 26th 1864 in Forfar she was a twin

her sister was Jessie Bean Simpson ( Betsy was the elder by 10 minutes )

and their parents were married on April 19 1856

James Simpson aged 25 and Jessy Byars aged 21

James Simpson's parents listed as James Simpson and Jess Butchart

Jessy Byars parents listed as Alexander Byars and Jean Ogilvie

There was another sister born March 23rd 1867 Jemima Byars Simpson

I hope this helps

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 05 10:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Mo,

That certainly does help.  In fact it helps a great deal, as you have come up with everything that I asked for, and in a very short space of time.  I'm very grateful indeed for your assistance.  This information provides an excellent paper trail of William Leuchars' work history prior to his arrival in Chesterfield.

I hadn't thought to look for him in England in the 1891 Census - silly of me, I know - but now I know he's there, I can get hold of the image as I have access.  However, I'm thankful of your kind offer!

Once again, many thanks for the time you have obviously spent on this little exercise, on my behalf.

Regards and best wishes,  Brett

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
Glad to have helped... I get so involved in searching lol... never know when to stop..

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 05 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mo,

OK I've found him in Elswick, transcribed in the Ancestry index as "Leuckers, William."  Many thanks.

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 05 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Brett,

I have a few "Leuchars" in my tree from the Dundee area but don't have much information about them yet - not a very common name so thought I'd let you know....

Alexander Leuchars married Margaret Barrie in 1819 and had 5 children:

Catherine b. 1829
Elizabeth b. 1839
Margaret b. 1819
James b. 1821
Alexander b. 1821

Any interest to you???

Lindsay

Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Henne - Donegal
Duncan/McCormack/Ogg/Pitkethly/Williamson/Ireland/Leuchars - Angus
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)
Clark/Duncan/Ferrier/Cooper/Martin - Angus & Kincardine

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 05 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for your posting, and interest.  I'm really just interested in William LEUCHARS (1863-), his immediate family, his life and his work as a photographer, but would be happy to pass on information if you find that he's connected to your line.

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 05 10:42 BST (UK) »
For those who are interested, I now have a profile of William LEUCHARS (1863-) photographer of Elswick and Chesterfield on my Derbyshire Photographers web site, here.

Regards and best wishes, Brett