Author Topic: John CORBETT 1840-1871 Murdered in Queensland.  (Read 18402 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John CORBETT 1840-1871 Murdered in Queensland.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 April 12 15:57 BST (UK) »
Merlin.

Nice info you posted re the early electoral roll information.  The Corbetts were early pioneers in the far north, Cairns was really established until about 1876 and there was a bit of competition with Smithfield just near Cairns on the Barron River which location was to be the port for the goldfields, likewise with Port Douglas.   Floods wiped out Smithfield and Cairns won out to be the starting point for those heading to the Hodgkinson GoldFields up through the Barron Gorge although Port Douglas did steal some of Cairns' thunder but the discovery of gold at nearby Goldsborough helped Cairns.

Gerry

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 April 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Photograph:

Elizabeth CORBETT (nee Derham) born in Athboy Co. Meath, Ireland 1848, wife of Patrick McNamara CORBETT (John's brother).

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l6o/

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 April 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerry, there are a lot of CORBETT's on the early erolls, gvt & police gaz's. I just posted the ones in FNQ around the time that John & Patrick were alive.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 April 12 16:23 BST (UK) »

Pleased you have that information, nice job, also good to see the Charters Tower's Northern Miner is making its way onto Trove finally.  Two branches of my lot have a strong connection to Charters Towers so hopefully new stuff will emerge.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 April 12 06:27 BST (UK) »
Good grief Nelly.... I might be related through the JONES line.  ::)  ;D
Wow, so much new information, thanks everyone.
I think I need a bit of time to sort it all out.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 April 12 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Ummm.... Jones v Corbett .... sometimes they clashed ! eg  “The referee awarded the match to Jones on points.  Both contestants appeared fit to last out another 20 rounds” ....
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/80201407 The Daily News (WA) 22 June 1911....

But more seriously, trying to get the knife’s owner to Australia after say 1917 as per Merlin’s info at #12 re the makers....

Try these links for UK departures to various countries... 
http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/#search_now

And this link for two female passengers on the Orcades arriving Jan 1949 via Fremantle
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Scripts/PassengerSearch.asp (if that times out, then try this: http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/index.aspx search as a guest and top right menu ‘passenger arrivals index)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 April 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
Well, this might help  :)

There’s a death index for 1st Quarter of 1983 for a Brinley Ewart CORBETT born 18 Oct 1905, registered Merthyr Tydfil, GRO Vol 27, pg 0104 as per online index.   On same online index there’s birth registered Bedwellty, Mounmouthshire, 4th Quarter of 1905, Brinley Ewart Corbett, GRO 11a pg 83   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jackiea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a bit of information regarding Corbett and have written a small piece below. My gr gr grandfather was Thomas Martel. Was Corbett related to you

June 1871 Gilberton was thrown into a state of excitement after hearing the news of the brutal murder of John Corbett. The excitement was, as one could say, more of an intense yearning to hunt down and kill the murders responsible for Corbett’s death.
Up to the time of his death, John Corbett, was a well known store keeper at Gilberton and well known in the Norman and Cloncurry districts were he also carried out businesses.
Thomas Martel was the last known white man to have seen John Corbett alive on the 31st May 1871 at Gorge Creek.
At the Magisterial inquiry, held at Gilberton Court House, Thomas was called to give evidence:-

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackiea, welcome to RC.  :D
No, I'm not related to John CORBETT. 
We used to live across in the Gulf Country and we found a knife when we were out gem fossicking. We knew Corbett's Grave was nearby so thought the knife may have been his.
Turns out not to be his knife, only manufactured about 1920-ish. But still a very great coincedence to be so near his grave and with the name B.E.CORBETT stamped into the handle.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.