Author Topic: If a soldier died after 1886 & before 1891 What conflict might he have been in?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Siouxzie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • William Johnson
    • View Profile
Fairly long winded question I know.  I am looking for any information on Hugh Herbert Greene.  On his daughter's birth certificate in 1886 he is listed as a prison warder.  His wife is a widow in 1891 on the census in Greenwich.  By 1907 when his daughter is married he is listed as deceased, but with occupation soldier.

So maybe he became a soldier sometime after 1886 and before he died.  Maybe his death was connected to the fact he was a soldier, if so, what battle/conflicts around that time.  I am woefully ignorant of such matters.

I am clutching at straws here, because I can find no birth, marriage or death entries for this man. He only exists on his daughter's certificates for me so far.

His spouse Sarah Ann nee Robbins was from Aynho, Northamptonshire - his daughter Lily Winifred Greene born Kentish Town, St Pancras.  Can't find him anywhere and so maybe I should try the army route ?!

Help!

Siouxzie
Greenwich, London-BEARMAN/JOHNSON/GREENE Barking Essex-BEARMAN
Manchester- NEWALL/Newell or variants, LOLLEY/Lolly,WALL
Shropshire- WALL
Cheshire- MADDOCK/CARTER/PERCIVAL
Windsor, Berkshire - MILES
Buckinghamshire - MILES
Monmouthshire - JAMES & MORRIS
Herefordshire- FLEET
Yorkshire- SHIPLEY & GRAY
Sussex- EDWARDS & KNIGHT
Wiltshire/Hampshire-WATERS
Wolverhampton area Staffordshire- ASTON
Staffordshire- LOLLEY

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flipster

• RootsChat Member
  • Respice, Adspice, Prospice
    • View Profile
Re: If a soldier died after 1886 & before 1891 What conflict might he have been in?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 13:24 BST (UK) »
Siouxie,
Possibly the Boer War which was towards the end of the century.  I cant find anything on the web regarding sites/forums for this or regiments that fought there.  National Archives may have something.  My grt gf fought in the Boer War and I am really struggling to find anything on him...

Let me know if you have any success.

Flipster
Hackett - Black Country
Shakespeare - Birmingham/Middlesex/Leicestershire
Williams & Millington - Denbighshire
Davies - Rhondda/Black Country
Whittle/Bowen - Black Country
Bradshaw - Birmingham
Millard - Cambs
Smith/SQUELCH! - Birmingham
Peart - Yorkshire
and on and on and on.......

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
Re: If a soldier died after 1886 & before 1891 What conflict might he have been in?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Siouxzie

the most likely war he would have fought in would have been the 1st Sudan War, 1885 - 1889. This is the war where General Gordan was killed at Khartoum, by the army of the Mardi. This link gives the names of some of the battles fought in the war and some of the regiments that fought in them. It may give some clues if you know his regt.
http://www.regiments.org/wars/19thcent/85sudan.htm

Mick
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi fliptster

try this link about the Boer War
http://www.regiments.org/wars/19thcent/85sudan.htm

If you can get to the National Archives at Kew you can look up his service record in Wo 97 series of documents.
The Boer War was fought from 1899-1902, (as a result many men away fighting are not shown on the 1901 census). This was know as the Second Boer War, there was a smaller one 1880-1881.

Mick

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline Siouxzie

• RootsChat Senior
  • William Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mick and Flipster,
Oh to have a regiment, I wish.  To have any proof of this man, other than in reference to his daughter.  I have a missing in 1901 on another of my lines, maybe he is off fighting too.
You've given me some ideas anyway

Siouxzie
Shropshire- WALL
Buckinghamshire - MILES
Herefordshire- FLEET
Sussex- EDWARDS & KNIGHT
Staffordshire- LOLLEY

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 13:44 BST (UK) »
Siouxxie
Just a thought - could be be from, say Ireland or US, came to UK, concieved the child and went back?
This may account for the fact that there is no birth, marriage or death for him as he would have been born abroad, died abroad and did not marry.
Lily was born in 1886 (ref St Pancras Jun 1886 1b/121) - mother listed as a widow in 1891, maybe he just was not there any more.
Are there any siblings for Lily that you are aware of?
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline Siouxzie

• RootsChat Senior
  • William Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Claudia,
Well I am beginning to think he beamed down from outer space.  Yes Lily has a brother Herbert born in 1883.  In 1901 Sarah A Green is living with her son Herbert age 18, the birthplace for him is given as Aynho Northamptonshire like his Mother.  Although I did find a GRO for a Herbert William Greene born Marylebone Dec 1883, which looked likley, I've found no trace of him in Northamptonshire.   Proabably the incredible disappearing man like his father.

Siouxzie
Shropshire- WALL
Buckinghamshire - MILES
Herefordshire- FLEET
Sussex- EDWARDS & KNIGHT
Staffordshire- LOLLEY

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
He doesn't necessarily have to have died in a particular conflict.

Britain had a military presence in dozens of countries at that time and soldiers were posted with their regiments for a tour of duty (same as today really).

However in those days, countless died of illness, either during the transport to these places or during their tour.

One of my ancestors died of Yellow Fever in Bermuda in 1814, after I had searched fruitlessly for him in the regiments involved in the Napoleonic conflicts.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline katemart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Zulu Rebellion was in 1887 (remember the film? :)).  For militia I always check www.onwar.com - their timeline of internation events is very useful. 

Good luck, Kate
RUMSBY (any, plus assorted Suffolk families); HOLLAND (Driffield > E London > Tilbury); JONES (Deptford > Gravesend); PAIN (Tibury); BULLEN (London); O'CONNELL and MAHONEY (Cork > Gravesend); ANTHONY, ROWE, LAWRY (Cornwall > London); STONES, VITTY, RIPLEY (Durham > Yorkshire).