Author Topic: Matthew Smellie of Medrox  (Read 17582 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Smellie of Medrox
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 January 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SoniJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 August 13 20:04 BST (UK) »
I have the line of this branch of Smellie`s  in Scotland until a John smellie married to Jane Miller (who died) and John remarried and  left Scotland and immigrated to Huntingdon, Quebec, Canada.  His 2nd wife (name unknown) died on the voyage to Canada.

I am new to Rootschat and am interested in some of the posts I have seen regarding the Gartshore and Smellie families. My ancestors are Gartshores from New Monkland, Lanarkshire.

I hope I can add some info and perhaps gain some too.  Helen Smellie b. 1783 to John Smellie and Elizabeth Shanks married Robert Gartshore, November 1813 in New Monkland.  Robert was the eldest son of Alexander Gartshore and Marion Steel of New Monkland, and was the elder brother of my gg-grandfather, John Gartshore. I have information on their descendants if anyone is interested.  A Lanark Sasine (No. 176 June 19th 1821) mentions John Smellie, Elizabeth Shanks and many of their children and spouses, including Helen Smellie and Robert Gartshore.  Robert Gartshore and Helen emigrated to Ontario, Canada, as did John Gartshore.
BTW, I have noticed some online trees mention that Helen Smellie died 1881 in Scotland but with no source reference. I have a source (Cobourg Library, Ontario) showing that Helen Smellie Gartshore died 7 October 1866, aged 84, and is buried in Wooler Friends Cemetery, Brighton, Northumberland County, Ontario.

I am very curious about the mention of the John Smellie who was married to Jane Miller and later emigrated to Canada.  Gary states that John married a second time and his wife, name unknown, died en route to Canada.  This comment really got my attention!  John Gartshore mentioned above emigrated to Ontario abt. 1833 with his sister (Janet Gartshore) and her husband, cited in a family history as named "Smiley".  She died within site of land and was reportedly buried in Newfoundland. Janet Gartshore married John Smellie 12 January 1829 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

I have often wondered if Janet's husband was related to Hellen Smellie and also wondered where her widowed husband went when he arrived in Canada. Based upon what Gary has posted, it appears that Janet Gartshore, sister of my gg-grandfather, John Gartshore, was John Smellie's second wife.  So, as I suspected, there appear to be two (at least) connections between the Gartshore and Smellie families.

I have a very large database on the Gartshore family and their connections going back to the 1600's and would be happy to share information.  Right now, I'm glad to have found some info on the Smellie connections.  :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
I have John down as born at Maryburgh, New Monkland on 8 November 1810, and died in Glasgow on 19 August 1873. He married Margaret Moir, but I have failed to find a death record for her so far. Nor have I found anything else so far about this couple.

I've now been actively looking for this John Gartshore, but have failed to find him in the 1841, 1851, 1861 or 1871 census. All I can find is his death certificate.

There's a John M Gartshore, aged 30, in Gartshore House, Kirkintilloch, in the 1841 census. However a little additional research suggests that this is John Murray Gartshore of Gartshore, Dunbartonshire (1804-1884), born 11 October 1804 at Ochtertyre, Perthshire, second son of Sir Patrick Murray of Ochtertyre and Mary Hope, and married on 5 August 1836 at Corfu to Mary, youngest daughter of HE Major-General Sir Howard Douglas. They had at least one son, born 30 March 1844 in Edinburgh, and one daughter, born 1840/1. Mary died on 3 March 1851 in Hampshire, and on 29 June 1852, in Clapham, John Murray Gartshore married Augusta Louisa, daughter of the late George Frederick and Lady Augusta Tavel and widow of the Rev William C Purdon. John M Gartshore, 76, born Monzievaird, Perthshire and his wife Augusta L and daughter Mary were in Ravelston House, Edinburgh in 1881, and John Murray Gartshore of Ravelston died at Edinburgh on 22 June 1884.

Can anyone spot John Gartshore (1810-1873) with or without his wife Margaret Moir in any census?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SoniJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,
You're reply regarding my post about the Gartshore, Smellie and Waddell families and our connection seems to have disappeared.
However, in response to your mentioning John Gartshore b. 1810 who died in Glasgow 1873 and married Margaret Moir - he was my gg-grandfather. He emigrated to Canada in 1833 and married Margaret Moir in Fergus, Ontario in 1836. He returned to Scotland in 1873 for his health and died there in 1873 and is buried in New Monkland Churchyard with his parents and other members of his family. His wife, Margaret Panton Moir, b. Aberdeen in June 1809, emigrated to Ontario with her family in 1835. John Gartshore and Margaret Moir lived in Dundas, Ontario and she died in Hamilton, Ontario, 2 September, 1899. That is why you cannot find them in the UK census. They lived in Ontario, Canada. 
Perhaps we need to start a topic on the Gartshores. I have extensive information on them and connected families and copies of some original documents dating back to John Gartshore who married Elizabeth Wood in 1673. One of the documents is a marriage contract between James Mochrie and Mary Waddell from 1727, Mary being the daughter of Robert Waddell and Janet Thomson.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 21:56 BST (UK) »
You're reply regarding my post about the Gartshore, Smellie and Waddell families and our connection seems to have disappeared.
So it has. How very odd - wonder how that happened?

However, in response to your mentioning John Gartshore b. 1810 who died in Glasgow 1873 and married Margaret Moir - he was my gg-grandfather. He emigrated to Canada in 1833 and married Margaret Moir in Fergus, Ontario in 1836. He returned to Scotland in 1873 for his health and died there in 1873 and is buried in New Monkland Churchyard with his parents and other members of his family. His wife, Margaret Panton Moir, b. Aberdeen in June 1809, emigrated to Ontario with her family in 1835. John Gartshore and Margaret Moir lived in Dundas, Ontario and she died in Hamilton, Ontario, 2 September, 1899. That is why you cannot find them in the UK census. They lived in Ontario, Canada.
Ah, thank you.

Perhaps we need to start a topic on the Gartshores. I have extensive information on them and connected families and copies of some original documents dating back to John Gartshore who married Elizabeth Wood in 1673. One of the documents is a marriage contract between James Mochrie and Mary Waddell from 1727, Mary being the daughter of Robert Waddell and Janet Thomson.
I'd be very interested to see that marriage contract if it were possible. Once you have made one more post here I will be able to send you a personal message with my direct contact details.

Offline SoniJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
Gary,
You mentioned that John Smellie's wife, Jane Miller, died but did not specify when. She must have died during or shortly after childbirth in January 1822 since the entry on p. 21 in the parochial register (New Monkland film 1066600, item 4) for the baptism of their daughter, Jane, reads:
Jane Miller Smellie dau. of John Smellie farmer North Myvot & the deceased Jane Miller b. 4th bapt. 17 Jan. 1822.
You might find a reference to a mortcloth for Jane in the parish register.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 19 June 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
Posting this on behalf of Gary who had clicked on the wrong button and sent the message to me  ;)

(You have to log into RootsChat and click on the reply button to send a message.)

Yes that is our correct email address …. 

I  look forward to  any info that you may not have already made available.  This site and people like yourself, have provided much interesting facts that make this family tree a very interesting story indeed.  I sincerely  appreciate  your help and information.  If there are any questions that you may have for me  in regard to the Smellie Family , or other related families , please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Gary
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know who were the parents of Jane/Jean Miller, first wife of John Smellie, who died in 1822?

Offline zandsabar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 22 January 24 13:19 GMT (UK) »
By any chance do you know what Clan he was attached to?