Author Topic: MI look ups wanted for Llandrinio, Llandysilio and Llanymynech?  (Read 3339 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
MI look ups wanted for Llandrinio, Llandysilio and Llanymynech?
« on: Sunday 15 April 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have the MI booklets produced by the Montgomery Genealogical Society for Llandrinio, Llandysilio and Llanymynech?

I am looking for any Brown surname entries if any kind person out there has any of these booklets and could spare a moment to take a look for me?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MI look ups wanted for Llandrinio, Llandysilio and Llanymynech?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 09:35 BST (UK) »

There are a number of Brown/Browne entries in Guilsfield parish marriage records ( practically next door to Llanymynach) but it would also be worth while having a look at the North Wales BMD site.
All the best,
Lleucu

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lleucu

I have been using the North Wales BMD site, but it doesn't give age at death on the deaths section. The PRs available on FindMyPast do not give the same kind of information that might be on a gravestone - hence me requesting details from the MI books of the areas my Brown families were living in at various times.

I know some of my Brown's also went over the border into Shropshire, like Oswestry and Whittington and Melverley. Any Brown's in Guilsfield are potentially not connected to mine. My line goes back to a John Brown who married Mary Morrice/Morris in 1728 in Llandrinio, but I know that they often left the parish here and there (no idea where they went) and then coming back to Llandrinio.
Either that or the PRs on FindMyPast are sketchy!

John Brown & Mary Morris m 1728 Llandrinio (or 1727 - the date on FindMyPast isn't showing the old style so I am thinking it might be more like 1727) - Mary seems to have died in 1736 and he may have remarried to an Elizabeth who was buried 1752. No burial found for John senior.

son John b. 1728 - married Jane Lloyd 1753 Llandrinio (no burials found for these two)

son James b. 1754 - may have married an Alice Williams in 1775 in Shrewsbury

son Thomas b. 1780c (no baptism found in Llandrinio - but his sister Jane who he is with in 1851 was baptised in 1783 in Llandrinio and also a sister Alice b. 1786)

Thomas married Jane Lloyd in 1799 in Llandysilio and had a son John b. 1801c - no baptism found. May have also had a son James in 1804 who was buried that year - but down as being son of Thomas and Elizabeth - so either this is wrong or Thomas's wife Jane had died and he had remarried. No burials found for Jane or Elizabeth.

Burial found for James Brown 1835 in Llandrinio, nothing for wife Alice.

Thomas appears in 1841 - on his own. In 1851 with single sister. Nothing after that. May have died in Shropshire. Jane appears in 1861 as a widow - despite being single and is buried in Llandysilio in 1863.

John b. 1801 had been widowed in 1851 and remarried a few years later to Elizabeth Pugh - a widow - giving his father's name as Thomas. He died in 1871, no idea what became of Elizabeth.

John and his first wife Jane had several children in Llandrinio and Llandysilio, including my direct ancestor John b. 1828 who married three times and died in 1900 in Llandrinio.

His son John b. 1850 moved to Glyn Ceiriog in Denbighshire and became a tollgate keeper and waggoner for the Cambrian Quarry/Glyn Valley Tramway and died in 1897.

Many of the sons of these families were bricklayers/stone masons and seems the furthest back with the occupation I've found so far is with James b. 1754.

Mainly just hunting down some other sources of information.

Thanks again!

Alex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Lleucu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alex for your very informative reply. I do sympathize with you - I know from experience how difficult it can be  to follow family lines pre-census,
Sorry to say that I do not have the records for the parishes that you are interested in but I'm sure that there will be some kind Rootschat member who will be able to help.
Lleucu

;)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 18:04 BST (UK) »
I think I have one of booklets you mention. I will just go and look.

In the meantime, it is worth subscribing to FindMyPast, as mentioned this site has PR coverage at least to 1837 and in some cases to the 1900s for many Montgomeryshire parishes. The only parish not included in this area is Trelystan.

I got a 10% discount code from FindMyPast a while back, which expires in about a week.

You can search the records at FindMyPast here (select Montgomeryshire from the drop-down):

http://tidd.ly/c18b8e9b

And the discount code is ....         SUB10

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks David

I already do subscribe to FindMyPast - which is where I have already sourced much of what I know about the Brown family via baptisms, marriages and burials in Llandrinio and Llandysilio and some of the other areas they moved around in. I know they hope to put more Montgomeryshire records on in the coming months.

Look forward to hearing from you again should you have one of the booklets. Thank you for taking the time to look.

Regards

Alex

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry, crossed wires on two accounts. I mistook your post mentioning FindMyPast as being posted by someone else. I have a copy of the church plan from Llandysilio. The closest I have is Kinnerley.

If you happen to live near Shrewsbury, they have all the Mont. Gen Soc. MI booklets at the archives.

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking anyway David.

Sadly I don't live near Shrewsbury as I live in Wiltshire. But my parents do, hopefully will get up to visit soon and will take a look! Otherwise will just buy the booklets and then I can do some look ups for other people!