Author Topic: GLOVER family  (Read 6039 times)

Offline BillyB

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GLOVER family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 February 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. Have just come across this post whilst doing some research for my son's WW1 project (yes me, not him!) and am absolutely fascinated by the contents.

My mother was George Violet's granddaughter - her father Sydney (born c.1895) was the youngest of 4 brothers - Arthur, Charles & Ernest. His company, George Violet & Sons, made farm machinery in Bideford.

Uncle Ernie gave my mother away at her wedding in 1951 as her father Sydney, died in 1945. My parents last visited Aunt Evelyn, Arthur's wife, in California in the 90's?

I am confused by the names of Glover v Violet and how several records refer to both. Does anyone know the history behind this? As suggested on a previous post, there may be some doubt as to whether George was John Violet's son. Can anyone enlighten me? I'm afraid the link suggested by DOB7 doesn't work ...

Thanks in advance. Oh yes, back to the original line of investigation, I know all the brothers fought in WW1 -and amazingly they all made it. However, I believe the family business fell apart when they all got back.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 February 15 17:56 GMT (UK) »
FREECEN's website has changed - it is now http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline c pittwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 00:21 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was Ernest Violet he had one son Louis my Father.
I  have a copy of the deed poll where my grandfather changed his name to Violet.