Author Topic: Schools in Stepney 1850's  (Read 1480 times)

Offline donaldridley70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Schools in Stepney 1850's
« on: Sunday 15 April 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
The 1851 Census shows an Anthony Ball described as Teacher /School Principal living at #1 1/2 Adelaide or Adelaina Place, Stepney. Since other residents were a School Usher (?) and 2 Scholars I wondered if this was a Private School. If not I assume Mr. Bell lived in reasonable proximity to his place of work.

So is possible it was a Private School?
Is there anywhere I can search for Stepney Schools of that period,
 or some option of tracing Mr. Bell or Principals.

Perhaps there is someone out there researching or has researched Mr. Bell.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Don

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Schools in Stepney 1850's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 12 12:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Don
I;ve had a look for Mr Anthony Ball and his school at Stepney.This was almost certainly a private establishment and owned and run by Mr Anthony Ball who is in fact Anthony Bale who would have lived on the premises.
He and his wife Avis Lee married 6.9.1818 St George Bloomsbury they where also running a school at Norfolk House Stepney Green in 1841.With them is their son Henry.Anthony Bale died 11.8.1853 at Adelaide House stepney and letters af administration where taken out by his son Henry in 5.2.1868 as his only living relative for under £100.I'm assuming the school shut on his death Avis was certainly lodging elsewhere by 1861.
Trade directories would be your first port of call.There would certainly be no government schools at this date and it is possible that it was a charitible or church school rather than a public one.The prescence of the nephew William Beauchamp born in Calcutta India might suggest a connection with missionaries.
Good luck with your research
Ciderdrinker

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 12 12:08 BST (UK) »
Try asking

Tower Hamlets Local History Library & Archive
Bancroft Library
277 Bancroft Road, London E1 4DQ

Local History: 020 7364 1290
Fax: 020 7364 1292
email: localhistory <at> towerhamlets.gov.uk
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline donaldridley70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Graham, and Ciderdrinker....just the nudge I needed.

Don

Can I ask another question.

Education I guess in the 1850's wasn't available to everyone. So could one assume that the father of  any child of 14 being educated privately, was perhaps 'well off' as we say. Perhaps a business man?

Any opinion on that thought would perhaps help me in identifying where I search next.

Thanks,
Don