Author Topic: Finding Agnes King of Wythenshawe  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Flowed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Agnes King of Wythenshawe
« on: Monday 16 April 12 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody
It's been a while since I posted anything but I'm having such trouble finding the final resting place of Agnes King who died at Withington Hospital, Manchester, in 1959 (April I think) that I wondered if anyone can help me? I've checked Manchester City Council's burial lists with no joy so far, but I'm sure she must be there somewhere. Agnes was the wife of William King of Wythenshawe/Northenden. Agnes was 60 when she died I think. Here's hoping that someone out there can give me a clue. Very many thanks in advance.  :)

Offline Berrie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Agnes King of Wythenshawe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 12 07:31 BST (UK) »
Could she have been cremated? It was more common by that time. Cremations don't appear on the Manchester burial site but you could try contacting Southern Cemetery to see if she is in their records.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Flowed & Berrie,

Manchester crematorium is not actually part of Southern Cemetery, even though they are right next door to each other. The crem has always been a private concern

http://www.manchestercrematorium.co.uk/

but its definitely worth contacting them, as Berrie says cremation was a popular option by then.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flowed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, that's very helpful. When I went to The M/C Council burial records it gave an option for either burial or cremation searches, or "both". As I chose the "both" option I assumed those records had been checked also. Great!...I'm back on track. Much obliged to you both. Flowed  :D

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
When I went to The M/C Council burial records it gave an option for either burial or cremation searches, or "both". As I chose the "both" option I assumed those records had been checked also.

I think the Online Burial Records only includes cremations from Blackley as this is owned by Manchester City Council.  The burial records also include cremated remains being buried in the cemeteries.  Manchester Crematorium, as Barbara mentioned, is privately owned and thats why the records aren't on the Online Burials.  The staff at Manchester Crematorium are really helpful though.

Luzzu :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Flowed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 01:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Luzzu, it's important for me to know that for my ongoing M/C searches. I'm very grateful for everyones participation in helping me with the query.