Author Topic: worcestershire lookup MOBBERLEY  (Read 2637 times)

Offline kd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
worcestershire lookup MOBBERLEY
« on: Wednesday 18 May 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help?
Looking for MARIA MOBBERLEY born about 1819 LYE WEST WORCESTERSHIRE.
I know she married JOHN KNOWLES in 1843 at ST. MARYS. OLD SWINFORD.
I am trying to find her parents.
Thank you
Kaye
Jenkins
Morris
knowles
Coleman

Offline DTR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: worcestershire lookup MOBBERLEY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 May 05 02:13 BST (UK) »
Any help?

Maria Gittens   abt 1843   Lye, Worcestershire, England   Visitor   Lye   Worcestershire      
Elizabeth Mobberley   abt 1859   Lye, Worcestershire, England   Daughter   Lye   Worcestershire      
John Mobberley   abt 1826   Lye, Worcestershire, England   Head   Lye   Worcestershire      
Maria Mobberley   abt 1838   Lye, Worcestershire, England   Wife   Lye   Worcestershire      
Mary Ann Mobberley   abt 1858   Lye, Worcestershire, England   Daughter   Lye   Worcestershire      

Folio:16               
schedule number:186               

Offline kd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 May 05 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
There seems to be 19 years difference, the Maria i am looking for was born cicra 1819.
Thank you for looking anyway.
regards
Kaye
Jenkins
Morris
knowles
Coleman

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
i have your maria in 1861 if that helps but no luck so far on her parents sorry

John Knowles abt 1820  Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England Head  Cradley  Worcestershire   
Maria Knowles abt 1819  East Indies Wife  Cradley  Worcestershire   
Richard Knowles abt 1840  Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England Son  Cradley  Worcestershire   
William Knowles abt 1851  Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England Son  Cradley  Worcestershire

the only mobberleys still in west lye are these -
Eliza Mobberley abt 1812  Lye, Worcestershire, England Wife  Stourbridge  Worcestershire   
Eliza Mobberley abt 1853  Lye, Worcestershire, England Daughter  Stourbridge  Worcestershire   
Hy Mobberley abt 1847  Lye, Worcestershire, England Son  Stourbridge  Worcestershire   
Richard Mobberley abt 1808  Lye, Worcestershire, England Head  Stourbridge  Worcestershire   
Thomas Mobberley abt 1851  Lye, Worcestershire, England Son  Stourbridge  Worcestershire 

richard may be a brother for maria???

or maybe this william poss being of the right age for her father???
Catherine Jones abt 1836  Liverpool Servant  Lye  Worcestershire   
Ann Mobberley abt 1794  Lye, Worcestershire, England Wife  Lye  Worcestershire   
Samuel Mobberley abt 1820  Lye, Worcestershire, England Son  Lye  Worcestershire   
William Mobberley abt 1796  Lye, Worcestershire, England Head  Lye  Worcestershire

hope this helps some
regards
alli

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline kd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 05 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Alli
Thank you for finding Maria for me.
I now have her marriage cert and indeed William was her father after some searching i have found her mother (Eleanor).
Eleanor was also from THe East Indies.
Maria and John had at least 3 children Caleb, Joiles and William I did not know of a Richard.
Thanks for taking the time to look.
Regards
Kaye
Jenkins
Morris
knowles
Coleman

Offline METaunt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm searching for Joseph Mobberley born Lye Waste Bank 1806. Married to Mary Green. I have been searching for some years but have never found his birth records. I was wondering if this could be the son of William and Bridget Stafford born in India in 1813, half brother to Maria. I am aware that sometimes birth dates were remembered or recorded wrongly so this could be the case. I am really struggling to find this Joseph, I only have the 1871 census for him.

If anyone could help or shed any light I'd be very grateful. Also I have a newspaper clipping of Maria Knowles and her brother Mobberley, in Lye in a knife incident 1855 if anyone is interested.

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 23 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Not sure how much help I can be.
I am related to the William Mobberley who married Bridget Stafford and was in India.
William was born c 1785  and had 2 children with his first wife Bridget -William 1809 and Joseph 1813.
He then went on to marry a widow Eleanor Walters 1791-1863 and have another 10 children.
William Mobberley joined up in 1799 and returned home to Lye 1819
He had another son Joseph in 1833 with his second wife Eleanor so I would be surprised if the older child lived.

Looking at your Joseph he was buried at Kidderminster 5th Nov 1871 age 66 years of Marlborough Row.
So does suggest 1805 for his birth   
Like you I then get nowhere fast.

I'll have a think over the weekend and if I find anything I'll get back to you

Ciderdrinker

Offline METaunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 23 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much  :) Darn it I was hoping it was that Joseph as it would have also confirmed the Irish Great Grandmother that my Great Gran mentioned! I guess I'll be taking this mystery to my grave  ::)

Thank you so much again for the speedy response :-)

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 23 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Again
I've had a think over the weekend and I'd like to a bit more positive.
Thinking about it my Great Grandfather did have two families and named 2 sons John and George with both his partners.It's not impossible Joseph survived  and then William and his new wife went on to have a second son Joseph.

The Mobberley family in Lye is basically one 'big ' family all descended from John Mobberley and Alice Seabright married 1624.
There are two main branches by 1800 .The brickmakers ,all brothers Samuel Foley Mobberley ,William Mobberley and Elizabeth Woolridge,Thomas and Elizabeth Round and Benjamin Mobberly and his 3 wives. Quite affluent and well documented and all buried in a big row of tombs together at St Marys Old Swinford.
Then there are the nailors.Edward and Elizabeth Holloway and his brothers Samuel and Joseph .
William and Eleanor from India are son and daughter in law of Edward and Elizabeth and it is with them and their siblings you should concentrate.(I've discarded Joseph born 1818  s of Thomas and Elizabeth because although he disappears after 1851 census ,the family go to Australia).

That leaves us with the other Joseph Mobberley on the 1841 census.

Lye Waste Bank
Elizabeth Mash 55 nailor y
John Mash 15 y
---------------/
Joseph Mobberly 25 nailor y
----------------------//
John Mobberley 30 nailor
Mary 30y
Jane 11
Henry 8
Betsy 5
Enocj 4
David 3
Lucy 6months.

Elizabeth Mobberley married James Mash 22.6.1823 Old Swinford .wit William and Eleanor Mobberley.
She is William's younger sister born 1788.
She marries late probably because she had 2 illegitimate children -Mary 1809 and Nathaniel 1815.
No sign of the family after 1843 when son John gets 3 months for larcenary at Worcester Asizies.

On the other side is her nephew John.John on his second marriage is noted as the illegitimate son of Lucy Mobberley.(12 Dec 1848 Old Swinford marriage to Maria Woodhall).
Lucy 1788-22 Feb 1837 is Elizabeth's sister.She married Francis Mannerley at Halesowen 24 Aug 1816.
No sign of a baptism for John around 1809.
She has a further 3 children with Francis Mannerley - Elizabeth and Mary 1817 and Obadiah 1835-1827.

I think this Joseph Mobberley age 25 -30 years is probably your man. Somehow he is connected to the children of Edward and Elizabeth Mobberley .
There are 3 possibilities -the son Joseph born in India 1813
 An illegitimate child of Elizabeth Mobberley
An illegitimate child of Lucy Mobberley

Either way I think Edward Mobberley nailor 1748-1821 and Elizabeth Holloway died 1828 are probably his grandparents .
Does that help at all?
What do you think ?  Like you I'm struggling to see possibilities.

There is a newspaper report of a Joseph Mobberly age 27 nailor at Kidderminster accused of stealing John Lea's fowl. in 1843   in the Worcester journal .Could that be him a little older?

Ciderdrinker