Author Topic: worcestershire lookup MOBBERLEY  (Read 2626 times)

Offline METaunt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: worcestershire lookup MOBBERLEY
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you are amazing, thank you so much for your help.

Yes I've saved that 1841 census with John, Mary and Joseph. I never like to assume but there's always some degree of speculation involved in order to find the answer. Over the weekend I looked through the whole of the Old Swinford parish register, sadly most of the pages aren't scanned fully and a lot of it is damaged. I also went through the whole of the Waste Bank census in 1841 and 1851 and couldn't find any other Joseph Mobberley. 

My Mobberley line are very elusive. Mary Mobberley b1858, my 2nd G*Grandmother, daughter of Joseph and I assume Mary Green, on some census forms is listed as Mary Bird (wife of Thomas Bird) and then suddenly she's just Mobberley. I assume they weren't actually married.

I have collected up quite a few news paper records of the Mobberleys from Lye. Quite a bunch!!

Thank you so so much for all your help, you've given me plenty to look into :-)

Offline METaunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 24 12:03 GMT (UK) »
After reconsidering a marriage record I have for Joseph Mabley and Mary Green (m1864 Kidderminster) I can now say that Joseph's father is Joseph Mobberley, potentially Joseph (b1790) son of Edward Mobberley and Elizabeth Holloway.

However I can't find any records for Joseph (b1790) other than his birth record. I'd like to verify that he had a son Joseph at least!

I'd be so grateful if anyone has any information on Joseph Mobberley b1790? It's driving my crazy!! I've looked through so many parish registers in Worcestershire but have found nothing!  :-\

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 24 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry but I have nothing too.
He's not the Joseph Mobberley who married Priscilla Wheatley 1818 in Kentucky but I've not found a trace.
Either he died very early on or perhaps he signed up for the Army and died overseas.
Nothing anywhere.

Ciderdrinker

Offline METaunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 24 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ciderdrinker :-)

Yes I was considering Priscilla Wheatley but really didn't think he was the right Joseph. When I'm next in Worcester I'll take a trip to the Hive to see if I can find any information. I'll let you know if I find anything. Thanks for your help :-)

Offline Éalaigh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 17:20 »
Hi there, I found this topic when I was Googling some of my own information on Old Swinford, the Lye Waste and the Mobberleys. Elizabeth Mobberley and John Marsh were my 3rd and 4th great grandparents through John's daughter Elizabeth Margaret Marsh with his first wife in Tasmania, Katharina Holzwarth. Katharina came over with her parents and a small group of migrants from Wurttemberg in Germany, but died shortly before her 25th birthday from some sort of chest infection.

John and his mother were both transported to Tasmania in spite of Elizabeth's advancing age and upon their freedom settled in the town of Ouse. John died in 1877 from head injuries falling from his horse. Elizabeth tragically burned to death in 1859 after her clothes ignited, possibly after falling asleep too close to an open fire.

I've managed to find what I think are five children Elizabeth had altogether. There was Mary Mobberley in 1809 who I think was the infant that died later that year. There was Nathaniel Mobberley in 1815 who seemed to vanish. There was Sarah Mobberley who I haven't spotted on the 1841 census. Then after marrying James Marsh/Mash, there was John of course in 1824 and finally Mary Ann Marsh in 1828. I think Mary Ann matches the 6 year old Mary Ann that died in 1834.

The confusing part is the convict indents for John and Elizabeth, specifically the second pages that list family:
https://libraries.tas.gov.au/Digital/CON15-1-3/CON15-1-3P32
https://libraries.tas.gov.au/Digital/CON14-1-22/CON14-1-22P178

Elizabeth lists herself as a widow, but I can't seem to find any record of James' death. Presumably it was before the 41 census. She lists three (living) children, and mentions two of her siblings back in her native place, Hannah and William. William and his second wife Eleanor seem to also be the two witnesses listed in her wedding to James.
John's indent lists his mother Elizabeth, a brother Joseph and a sister Elizabeth. Sure enough there's the Joseph Mobberley in the household in the 1841 census. This Joseph also matches the age of Nathaniel Mobberley, leading me to believe that they're possibly the same person? A lot of the family and John's children have first and middle names that aren't always listed in many records. Quite a few names that are somewhat more unusual, too. Nathaniel, Anak, Heri, etc. Anak was used among several family members, as recently as one of my grandfather's brothers.
Many of John's children seem to be named after his extended family. There's Mary Ann, Elizabeth Margaret, John Richard James, Anak William Nathaniel, Mary Lucy Eleanor, Maria Eliza and Heri Joseph.
Elizabeth's UK prisoner record also lists two aliases, Ann Marsh and Mary Mobberley. Again, possibly her middle names?

I can't find any records for the daughter Elizabeth Mobberley, but there a Sarah Mobberley in Lye Waste that married a miner called Samuel Bingham in 1846, and she lists her reputed father to be a Benjamin Marsh. Samuel I believe was the same Samuel that died the very next year in a work accident, crushed by falling rocks according to the papers. From there, I can't find anything more about Sarah.

So the short version: maybe John's siblings were Nathaniel Joseph Mobberley and Elizabeth Sarah Mobberley?