Author Topic: VENABLES/VENEBLES in Cheshire  (Read 2117 times)

Offline fenifur

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
VENABLES/VENEBLES in Cheshire
« on: Monday 16 April 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have a Venables line in my family tree that originates in Cheshire. My boyfriend's family have always assumed they were part of the Gentry family of that name.
However I am back into the late 1700's and they are farmers who are not yet connected directly to the family. Is there a chance there were two strands of Venables originating here, or is it likely that if I manage to go further back (proving impossible with current Online records) I will eventually find the link?
If anyone knows of another Venables family line do let me know!
The furthest I have gotten back for sure is Thomas Venables b.1795 m. Harriet (Simpson) Parents Judith and possibly John Venables. :)
Jenny
Vanderkist; London and beyond!
Doe; Suffolk
Hunt; Surrey, London
Reeves; Croydon, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire
Porrett: England, Yorkshire, London
Ward; Croydon, Wiltshire
Batchelor; Croydon, Brighton
Ellis; Croydon, Dorset, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire
MacPherson; Scotland
Wills; Cornwall
Taylor; Suffolk
Aldous; Suffolk
Poll; Suffolk
Gathercoal; Suffolk

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: VENABLES/VENEBLES in Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

John Venables married Judith Tipping by licence 21st October 1791 at Sandbach.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
hi,,probably not related,,but my Venables line originated in Shropshire,before two brothers were sent to Quarry Bank mill in Cheshire in the early 1800s,,,there are many Venables families in Cheshire now descended from these brothers, ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

In answer to your question about the families - the only way to find out is to keep tracking back to see if there is a link.  I don't know if you have already seen them, but the pedigree should be available from the visitation of Cheshire

If you go to http://archive.org/index.php and put visitation cheshire into the search engine you will see the years that you can look through.  The visitations were carried out to validate the right to bear arms and contain pedigrees of the prominent families of each area.

The other source that might be useful are wills.  You can see an index of Cheshire wills online here:
http://archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/RecordOfficeWillEPayments/search.aspx.  These can be an excellent source to establish relationships - there are alot of Venables wills shown starting from 1580.

And you might be able to establish a connection with gortonboy!

Jean

PS. I have yeoman farmers in Cheshire that I can trace back to minor gentry so it is quite possible that your boyfriend's family are correct but it will take further work to prove it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)