Author Topic: gorhams of london 1818-present  (Read 2670 times)

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gorhams of london 1818-present
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 January 13 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi checkmate, you may have missed a post from me-Francis Gorham's mother was Maria Brown Searly married 9/6/1821 at St Martin in the Field Church Kensington, Francis street address was no2 High Street Kensington while his father James lived at no5.(1844 and 1837 respectively), Francis then moved to look after James as they both lived at no2 in 1848.
Note that Francis was born in 1818, his parents married in 1821. The bells that peeled for the marriage of James and Maria have been gifted to the city of Perth here in WA and are assembled in a copper clad bell tower on the banks of the Swan River not far from me(you can google it).
The clocks James manufactured are very much sought after in the antique market-one g/father clock went for 400,000 pounds UK a few years ago how else can I help, cheers cousin John

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 January 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish, I really appreciate your help here- I have traced this old family name back to 1600's but have a gap from around 1880 to the present-all the records must be around London and I am trying to find anyone with these records as I would like to fill in this period,I have up to 16 direct Gorham descendants from the 1880's so you would think I should get a connection, I have even tried your London newspapers but no responses to date.
I have not chased Francis's aunts as the surname is different to his mother's so not sure what was going on, however will keep plugging away, best regards copper john perth WA.

Offline checkmate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 January 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi copper John,
Thanks for all that information.  I find it fascinating.  As mentioned before, grandmother and great grandmother never spoke of their family.  If you want copies of any certificates I have, do let me know.  I'm sure I'll be asking you a lot more questions - hope you don't mind!. 
Regards
Checkmate - Epsom, Surrey

Offline checkmate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 January 13 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thanks for that. It all helps to complete the picture!

Regards
Checkmate

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 January 13 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi checkmate n trish, you are very welcome, my experience has taught me that the more info is spread around, the more is uncovered so it's win win all around. Yes please checkmate I would appreciate any copies of bmd plus any significant doc's you may have.
Some more info for you: the Gorhams owned a row of houses at Hendon aerodrome vicinity circa 1900, I have contacted various Gov't departments to confirm but nothing so far. I have related Gorham's in NSW Australia (book available I have details)from Kent/Sussex from 1837,another branch in Toronto Canada and four branches in the UK, mine are the Kent/Sussex branch, others went to the USA, one family becoming world famous Silversmiths. The name is from France and was originally "de Gorram" of La Tanniere circa 1140, cheers for now copper john Perth WA