Author Topic: Namesakes  (Read 1073 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
Namesakes
« on: Tuesday 17 April 12 08:26 BST (UK) »
I realise this is mainly a male occurrence in family history research.

Over the years of family research my namesake has popped up frequently. Sometimes with a different middle name but essentially the same. They are near and far, from my 10 times great grandfather to a half 2nd cousin 4 times removed via 1st cousins 2,3 or 4 times removed and great or great grand uncles etc.

There are now 34 namesakes including myself.

Does anybody else have  large number of namesakes or come from a long list of the people with the same name?.
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Namesakes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
I have 35 named John Symons - and four John Symons with a middle name - and another six John Simons in one of my lines of research. Family tradition or complete lack of imagination? Not sure which, but makes tracing families stunningly difficult!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Namesakes
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
I'm very envious.  There isn't another of me in my tree although I think there was one that was close (I'd need to check).

From my grandparents back there are dozens of William, James, Sarah, Mary and Elizabeth.  None of these in more recent generations though.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex