Author Topic: Tracing Family History in Germany  (Read 1178 times)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tracing Family History in Germany
« on: Tuesday 17 April 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am very interested in family history and have, with others in the family, spent a very long time building what is a rather big family tree! I have traced my mother's side of the family tree back to the year 1522! with help of cousins and most other parts I also have going back to the 1700's. Sadly, I have little information on my Father's side of the family. My father and I were born in Germany - although I have lived in England all my life, and all of his ancestors are from there as well. He has done a fair amount of research on his mothers side which dates back to approximately 1810 (although it would be nice to go further if possible). We only recently found out who his father was, and sadly I only have a name, approximate date and location during the 1960's. It is especially difficult being as he wasn't on any of my father's certificates and we think he may have also had another family... but these things happen. To prove that he is who he is, I think the best way is to find out what he did, where and when and try and find contacts or other photographs to prove he is who we think. Now is the best time to do it, as there are probably people who knew him still around - (he would only be about 90 +/- 10 years).

I am very familiar with searching English records and Census's, but I think they are a little further behind with this in Germany, and family history isn't generally as much of a hobby as it is here. Can anyone give me any advice as to where I could go (preferably online) to find any information from roots overseas? I have spoken to the record office in Essen, Germany and they would charge about 80 euros to search for it for me. Naturally, I am reluctant to pay this to research the information, but if the worst comes to the worst and I can't find anything I may have to, or go over there and do it myself!

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Henning

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Family History in Germany
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Henning, Welcome to Rootschat,

A very intriguing  family history I presume.  You never mentioned what his
name was laugh???  We do have people who come on Rootschat and do
have information from abroad. If you have the name, dates, and places your
Father lived, you could mention them here and I am sure someone will try
and find him for you.

On my journey looking for ancestors I have found German birth and marriage
information on the FamilySearch.org site which is the Latter Day Saints site
which is free. Try that and you might find your family.  If not, give us some
information on here about your names, ages, and maybe places and I am
sure someone will try and help without you having to pay 80 euros.

Hope you enjoy the site

regards Sandymc

p.s we cannot research people who might still be alive!!!
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply, I will definitely have a look on the FamilySearch site and see if there's anything there. I have my German Grandmother's side of the family going back about 7 generations which is good to have. This information is also complete with certificates and a couple of pictures which my dad found in about 1980. I have occasional contact with him, although he feels the family tree is done now and isn't particularly interested in researching his father. Nevertheless, he has passed everything onto me as I am the only sibling interested.

His father was named Hans Pollman. There may be some variants on the spelling for his surname, although that is phonetically correct! My Grandmother there was born in 1922 and died in 2008, so i would guess that he would be of a similar age, although not 100% sure. I have one photo of him which was taken in Essen in the 1960's. He looked about 30/40 in this picture, so that would also back up my knowledge on his approximate birth date. Other than this, I know nothing. I have tried sending a few emails out to people as I did find a piano building company which had a man by the same name in charge during the 1950's-60's and thought this could be a lead. I haven't had a response from them, so it is still worth persuing. If possible, it would also be good to know where I might find burial records. I'm guessing that he would've died by now unless he is one of the few who makes it into his 90's! Of course, I may also find that he was cremated...

I will search for marriages on the site you suggested, although they weren't married and my father was illegitimate, so any information would only lead to another family that he had. Of course, illegitimacy complicates the research, although once I find out who he really was, it can only get easier!

Thank you and regards,

Henning

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
Have you joined this organisation? http://www.agfhs.org.uk/

Also - a fascinating article in March 2012 Genealogists Magazine....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan