Author Topic: Question for Prue please !  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Question for Prue please !
« on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
I've got a very delapidated Hieroglyphic Bible ...

http://www.windmillministries.org/Antique-Family-Bible-Store-211.htm

... its falling apart, some pages are missing, a couple have had candle wax dripped on them and have burn marks, and the stitching is weak or broken.  It has seen a lot of use !

I can't afford to have it restored properly, (its not worth much anyway) and want to do it myself.  (I know how to do and have done lots of book-binding).  I can restitch etc.   

My question is, some pages have rips in them, and I want to repair them before re-binding.   What sort of glue or tape or paper would you suggest using ?
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Prue please !
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydart  :D

Ooh, lovely book!

The repair method I would use for such nice old paper (which would be cotton rag at this date) is Japanese tissue strips and wheat starch paste, but this technique takes a fair bit of practise - luckily there is a not-too-bad substitute on the market: Lineco hayaku japanese hinging tape.  It's a strip of Japanese tissue with a water-activated adhesive on one side.  Google the name and you'll find quite a few suppliers. 

You will be able to easily tear off lengths off the tape and then I recommend that you thin them down by folding along their length and tearing in half.  Getting a feathered (torn) edge on all edges of the repair strip would be ideal, if you can manage it.  To make it easier, you can wet out a small paintbrush and draw a water-line along the fold before tearing (hold one side of the strip down under a ruler while you tear the other side off).

When you wet out the strips for repairing, wait until most of the moisture has dried back before placing the repair onto the page.  Once the repair is on, place a clean greaseproof paper sheet over it and rub it gently with a bone folder (if you have one for your bookbinding) or the back of a spoon.  Place some greaseproof paper either side of the repaired page and place the repair under weight for a few hours until it's dry.  Then trim off any edges of the repair that stick out.

Hope all that makes sense!  Let me know if you want any more tips. 

Cheers
Prue

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Prue please !
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:18 BST (UK) »
That's all very clear.  Thank you very much Prue ... I'll let you know how I get on !

I just found several suppliers online ... it comes in one hundred foot rolls !    :o     I need about 12 inches at the most !!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk