Author Topic: Elizabeth Mary LINDSAY  (Read 4474 times)

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Mary LINDSAY
« on: Wednesday 18 April 12 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Has anyone come across Elizabeth Mary LINDSAY or possibly Mary Elizabeth LINDSAY?   She is listed as the mother of one of my ancestors, Harold Norman Lee (Lindsay) WEST, and may have been married to his father Edward James WEST.   Harold has given his birthplace as Mount Gambier in SA, but I haven't been able to find any trace of him or his parents rounds that area.  I am trying to get information on both the WEST side and the LINDSAY families.  They may not have come from SA and possibly not even Australia. Harold was born 1887 so possible marriage would be around that time.

Any help out there?

Julie
Degenhardt Jarrett Hoare Kemp Coleman West

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Mary LINDSAY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 10:54 BST (UK) »
Found an obituary on Trove:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l83/

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
Cemetery record:

LINDSAY/CROKER James 13/03/1930 Church/E section C  Charles CROKER 22-2-1940 Elizabeth CROKER 2-5-1943

Wonder why the obit was in the name of Lindsay?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 11:02 BST (UK) »
Harold has given his birthplace as Mount Gambier in SA

Where did this come from?

Jamjar

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar
The information about Harold's birthplace being Mt Gambier comes from his marriage certificate.  He says that his father is Edward James WEST, Surgeon, and that his mother was Elizabeth Mary LINDSAY.
I have tried the MT Gambier Historical Society and they can find no trace of Harold or his father.  I can find no trace of Edward (unless I send away for countless death certificates!), even through registers of Surgeons practising at that time.  I really do think that Harold was born elsewhere and may have moved to Mt Gambier as a small child.  But this particular side of the WEST family are proving illusive.

Thanks Julie

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 12 01:43 BST (UK) »
Cemetery record:

LINDSAY/CROKER James 13/03/1930 Church/E section C  Charles CROKER 22-2-1940 Elizabeth CROKER 2-5-1943

Wonder why the obit was in the name of Lindsay?

Jamjar

My DVD reader has packed it in so can't check the cemetery records to see if there is an MI.

Death
LINDSAY Elizabeth
Father Wright Stanton  Mother Mary  UNKNOWN
At Wangaratta  72 years  1943  Reg#16568

A number of certificates would have Harold's details....do you have any?  I wonder if the information is consistent on all the certificates.

Australian Electoral Roll
1916, 1925
WEST Florence Frances May, Stirling Terrace  West Albany  Housewife
WEST Harold Norman Lee Stirling Terrace, West Albany  Labourer

WEST Harold Normal Lee 82 Ord Street  Wool classer

WEST Harold Norman Lindsay  13 Attfield Street, South Fremantle  Wool classer

WEST Harold Norman Lee  “Sunset” Nedlands  No occupation

Marriage
WEST Harold N L
HERBERT Frances F M
District Plantagenet  Reg#1  1914

Death
WEST Frances F M
District Fremantle  Reg#302  1928
Burial
http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=FB00009747

Marriage
WEST Harold N L
HITCHCOCK Lucy C J
District Fremantle  Reg#198  1929

I hope this isn't this your person of interest.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l89/

Death
WEST Harold Norman Lee
Father Edward J  Mother Elizabeth M
District Perth  78 years  Reg#1532  1965

I've searched the 1909 electoral roll for SA and nothing for an Edward James or Elizabeth Mary WEST together on the electoral rolls. 

Bear in mind that people of say they were born at a certain place when in fact it was the place in which they were raised.

I have also checked Victoria for his birth or possible marriage for Elizabeth Mary...nothing.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 12 02:04 BST (UK) »
Deleted as not relevant to the search
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 April 12 02:59 BST (UK) »
The Harold Norman WEST mentioned is my person of interest, he is my husband's grandfather.  The child mentioned in the first article as having been a ward of the state, is very likely my mother in law, who was put in a home at the age of 4. Her mother was Frances Florence May WEST nee HERBERT who died when my mother in law was 4.  I did know about the 2nd article, but not about the maintainence situation, but don't think that the rest of the family do.
I would like to find more ancestral evidence of this side of the family, but am fast coming to the conclusion that Harold's father being a surgeon may well have been a furphy!
Still, all grist to the genealogy mill.  All information will be gratefully accepted.

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 April 12 03:04 BST (UK) »
Cando
I have Harold's 2nd marriage certificate which gives his details.  I, too, have looked just about everywhere for his actual birth certificate, but can't seem to locate him, which is why I am beginning to think that either Harold is lying, or born elsewhere and came to SA (and later WA) as a young child.

Julie