Author Topic: Tarrant Gunville manorial records  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Munday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tarrant Gunville manorial records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 20:21 BST (UK) »
Interesting.  Tarrant Monkton, I understand, was held by Tewkesbury Abbey, but I am not aware of a connection between Tewkesbury and Tarrant Gunville.  Unless the nunnery was affiliated?

After the Reformation Gunville passes into the hands of the Swayne family, who hold it for a long time.  My particular interest is finding evidence of a link between the Munday family who lived in Tarrant Gunville at least from ca. 1540 to ca. 1595, and the Thomas Munday who first appears in the Cann parish records in 1621.  In the absenmce of Tarrant Gunville parish records for this period, I have hoped that manorial records might offer some clues.

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 20:37 BST (UK) »
There may be more in the manorial records.  If you are in England, and can make it to the Dorset Record Office, they have an amazing array of records.  If you happen to run across anything regarding the Newburghs, I would be grateful to hear about it.

The information about Catharine of Aragon holding Tarrant Gunville may need a little more investigation.  I don't think that the abbey had anything to do with Tewkesbury.  There were so many abbeys founded after 1066, but most of them were dissolved and torn down by Henry VIII during the dissolution.  For instance the Newburgh family founded Bindon Abbey, which was built for the Cistercian order.  There was also Shaftesbury Abbey and others. 

I can't say this with full certainty, given the way land was handed off to different people, but in the early 15th century Tarrant Gunville was owned by Robert atte More.  See the following:  After his death it descended upon his daughter who married John Newburgh.

“The family of More, which derived its name from a district in Marnhull, appears to have been of quite humble origin.  Robert’s father died in 1384, when he was eight, leaving him property in More, Stour Provost and Bere in Shillingstone, although his mother occupied these as her jointure and was still alive in 1392.  Together with his mother, who apparently took as her second husband Sir William Lucy, Robert More owned lands in Tarrant Gunville.  Within ten years he had acquired the manor of Bere and tenements at Winterbourne and Shaftesbury, properties which, together with his patrimony, were entailed on his issue by his first wife Alice, and were valued at his death at ₤33 6s. 8 d. a year.  Yet more extensive estates came his way in 1405 on the death of his second [Joan] wife’s mother Elizabeth St. Omer.   These included the manors of Bramshaw (Hampshire), Britford, ‘Abingdon Court’ in Cricklade and Burton Grove (Wiltshire), the advowson of St. Sampson’s church in Cricklade and lands elsewhere in Wiltshire, as well as in Thatchham and Newbury (Berkshire). His wife had already inherited from her father the manor of Hinton Admiral and a house in Christchurch (Hampshire).  Altogether, these had been valued in 1394 at as much as ₤94 a year.  Through a former marriage to John Syward, Joan held as jointure the manors of Winterborne ‘Wast’, Brockhampton and Swanage (Dorset) and the advowson of Winterbourne, which after a dispute over titles, were awarded to her and More in 1407.  In the same year they conveyed them to Sir Humphrey Stafford I and his feoffees, in return for an annuity of 19 marks payable for the rest of Joan’s life. (Sir Humphrey subsequently granted the manors to Exeter Cathedral for the foundation of Bishop Stafford’s chantry.)  In 1412 the subsidy returns gave conflicting evidence for More’s annual income:  the assessors in Dorset recorded a figure of ₤107 13s. 4 d. from 14 sources, with ₤63 from Wiltshire and 13 marks from Hampshire.  But even at the lowest estimate, of about ₤180 in all, he ranked among the wealthiest landowners of the region.  Subsequently, he acquired, not only temporarily as a feoffee, a tenement in Dorchester, and he made no more permanent acquisitions.  More died on 4 March. 1422, leaving as heir to his own estates his daughter by his first wife: [Alice] Edith, wife of John Newburgh, junior, of East Lulworth.  He seems to have had no issue by his second wife, who subsequently sold a large part of her own inheritance, including the reversion of her manor in Cricklade, to Sir Walter (by then Lord) Hungerford. She died in 1436 and was buried in St. Peter’s church, Dorchester. 
The information above comes from Hutchins, ii 380; iv. 317; Hist. Cricklade, 59; C139/23/29, 79/6
medieval research

Offline Munday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this: I shall watch for the name Newburgh.

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 April 20 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone:  It has been a long time since I have visited this topic, but while I was searching I ran across some information about a family known as Burcy involved in Tarrant Gunville c. 1458-62 in Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries, p. 157.  This is all written in Latin, so I  hope you have your Latin translators ready.

https://books.google.com/books?id=PPXgAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=who+was+John+Fauntleroy+1397&source=bl&ots=lsMyzcJFIy&sig=ACfU3U2JXVB_xv0MJNCfoAsHXrR9SwV1Bg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjNnZ_jseHoAhUSvJ4KHTiLCDE4ChDoATADegQIChAz#v=onepage&q=newburgh&f=false

Items No. 8 & 9 relate to a John Newburgh I am following.  All this ties in with my Attemore family being related in some way to the Cheverell family. I am still out in left field waiting for the fly ball. Some of you were wondering about manorial records for that period.

This is my clumsy attempt with Google Translate to decrypt the Latin.

No. 8
10 May 1458
Know all men present and to come that I, Henry Burcy, I have given, granted and by this my present charter have, will draw to John Newburgh (JR.) knight, Walter cheverel, knight to John Russell, knight to John Kneyche the chaplain, Robert Burcy, and John Osmonde all the messuages I and my land, woods, grazing pastures, and the pastures in the Tarant Gondevyl with all the force of appurtenances in the same place, to have and to hold all the aforesaid messuages, lands, woods, grazing pastures, and the pastures, with all its appurtenances, to the aforesaid Walter John  John Robert and John of heirs and assigns of them out of the chief lords of that fee, by the rent and the services thereof due and of the jurors accustomed, for ever And I, however, the aforesaid Henry (Burcy), and heirs of me, all these conditions aforesaid messuages lands, woods, grazing pastures, and the pastures, with all its appurtenances to the aforesaid John Walter John  John Robert and John their heirs and assigns, against all the nations, will warrant, acquit, and for ever defend by these presents In witness whereof to this my present writing, the seal of my witness William Frampton William Combe, William Clavyle John Howley, and John Ecfford Given the above, and others with Tarant Gondevyle tenth day of May in the reign of 36 King Henry VI (10 May 1458)

No. 9
10 Oct. 1460
To all the faithful to be present prevenerit John  Neburgh knight, Walters Cheverll knight, John Russell knight, Robert Burcy Johannes Kneyche Chaplain John Osmonde safety with respect to the said John Walter, John, John Robert and John have remitted, released, and in general for us and our heirs for ever quit claimed to the King Henrie Burcy and Alice, his wife, their heirs and assigns, all our right and claim of right which we have within ourselves or in the future shall be able in time all the messuages of our lands, woods, fat pastures, and the pastures in Tarent Gundevyle with all its appurtenances, to the same place so that neither we, the aforesaid John Walter John, John, Robert, and John, nor our heirs, nor any one else in the name of the our God any accuinem of right or claim in the aforesaid messuages lands, woods, green pastures, and the pastures, with all its appurtenances, nor in any parcel of the same to the rest, to demand or lay in the future in any way but from all action right title, claim or demand an authorization or seeking ever have hatched by the present And we the aforesaid John Walter John John Robert and John and our heirs will warrant all the aforesaid messuages, lands, woods, grazing pastures, and the pastures, with all its appurtenances, to the aforesaid Henry and Alice, his heirs and assigns, against all the nations, will warrant, acquit, and for ever defend by these presents In witness whereof to this our present writing and our action by our seals . . .etc.

Does anyone have access to the volumes of Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries?  I need to see Vol. 32.  The Burcy's are apparently elusive to historians, and little is written about them on the Internet.

I discovered another concord that ties the Cheverells and Attemores with the Newburghs. The first is in 1449 for Upperstirtyll and Netherstirtyll.  (Feet of Fines for Dorset p. 371)  But then the Cheverells and the Attemores appear to be involved in Tarrant Gunville c. 1458-62 as well.

Hope to hear from everyone . . . best wishes during this virus lock-down.  Maybe we will all find that golden nugget while waiting for the 'ALL CLEAR.'
medieval research

Offline Genouille

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 April 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Cheverell’s of Dorset and noticed the Newburgh surname mentioned in the following paragraph, doubtless it is not new to you!

John Chauntmarle, son and heir of Walter, left two daughters co-heirs, of whom Joan married John Cheverell, and Christian married John Jurdon. By charter dated on Monday next after the feast of Pentecost, 15 Hen. VI., Christian, who had been the wife of John Jurdon, granted to John Newburgh junior, William Hayne rector of Bradeford, Philip Leweston, and William Combe, all her lands, rents, pensions and services, with appurtenances, in Estoke juxta Bynedon, Chauntemarle, Blaneford, Stokehyde, and Pympern. John Jurdon and John Cheverell presented to the church of East Stoke, as lords of the manor, 1412, 13 Hen. VI. and John Cheverel and Christian late wife of John Jurdon deceased presented in 1434, 12. Hen VI. John Cheverel and John Jurdon, son and heir of Christian wife of John Jurdon deceased, presented to the same church in 1439, 17 Hen. VI. 6 Hen. VI. John Cheverell and Thomas Worth held in severance the fourth part of a knight’s fee in Stoke St. Andrew’s and Bellhuyssh, which William Stoke formerly held. 18 Hen. VI. John, son and heir of John Jordan, granted to John Wills and others, all his lands in Stoke, Bestwall near Wareham, &c.

It is copied from http://www.opcdorset.org/EastStoke/EastStoke-Hutchins.htm

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 April 20 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hello!  And thank you for the information.  Actually, I have just begun trying to figure out what the Newburgh ties are to the Cheverell family.  In the Feet of Fines Vol. 10. p. 371 https://archive.org/details/dorsetrecords10frye/page/n3/mode/2up     there is another Cheverell mention. As a matter of fact there are many mentions of them.  This one is for John Newburgh Jr.
(d. 1496/7)  Then it goes on to mention his brothers and father. This page was what set me out on a journey of 15 years (thus far) to understand what was missing in Hutchins and Bartlett about the Newburgh family. 

THEN 36 years later, there is another Cheverell mention https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015046359728&view=1up&seq=73 
This time, the mention is for the Attemore family, for the Netherstirtyll property mentioned in the first one above which was originally assigned to John Jr. who in the first covenant is the son of Edith Attemore, so it seems there might be some familial connection between them and the Cherevell family. John Jr.'s son Roger is also mentioned in this second source Another family that is mentioned in some of the covenants  are the Martyns and others.  There seems to be a group of people who always hang together during this period.

I am also looking at the Attemore family trying to put together a good pedigree for them and figure out who they intermarried with.

Thanks for answering my query.  If you have more information, I would love to share with you.

Sue

medieval research

Offline Genouille

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 April 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, thank you for your reply and further information. I will have a search to see if I can find the link to some of the names mentioned...there is sure to be a marriage in there somewhere!

I do know the link with the Martin/Martyns: Roger Cheverell’s, (1476) sister Christiana, (1487) married Thomas Martin of Athelhampton, (1510) & became Lady Christiana Martin.
Thomas Martin was the son of  William Martin, Knight, of Athelhampton, (1446) he was Lord Mayor of London in 1492.

The Russell’s mentioned in Babel are also connected by marriage: Walter Cheverell (1415-1481) married Christian Russell, who was the sister of James Russell.

Will get back to you if I find anything else that may be of interest to you.

Sandie.