Author Topic: William James Smith Born 1880 Whitchurch Glamorgan  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William James Smith Born 1880 Whitchurch Glamorgan
« on: Wednesday 18 April 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am having trouble finding William on the 1901 census.  He is the first son of John Smith and Mary Davies and was born in Whitchurch, Glamorganshire.  His father had died in 1883 leaving his mother with 3 very young boys, William James (1880), John Richard (1881) and Jesse (1883).
I believe William emigrated to the USA in 1904 but would like to find what he was doing in 1901 if I have the right arrival it looks as though he was a barber or hairdresser.  If that is the wrong arrival  I have his Marriage in 1908  and have the 1910, 20 and 30 census showing him living with wife and children in Philadelphia.
 Can anyone find him in 1901, please?
Cheers, Abiam2

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William James Smith Born 1880 Whitchurch Glamorgan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
This looks like his mother and brothers....  apologies if you have this already.

50 Wedmore Road, Canton, Cardiff
SMITH, John   Head     Single  M 20 1881  Fireman On Railway Whitchurch, Glamorganshire      
GALE, Mary     Mother  Widow F  43 1858  Home Duties Whitchurch, Glamorganshire      
SMITH, Jesse  Brother            M 18 1883  Fireman On Railway Nantgarwe, Glamorganshire   

No mention of William though sorry.   
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William James Smith Born 1880 Whitchurch Glamorgan
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
That's Ok I do have the widowed mother and boys.  She was left alone in 1883 and at the same time gave birth to a third boy.  On that census the eldest boy is staying with her father.  Must have been very hard and it would be understandable if WJD is boarding elsewhere.  It is not desparetely important I just like to finish things off.
Thanks for trying,
Abiam2