Author Topic: Old soldier ?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Old soldier ?
« on: Wednesday 18 April 12 22:33 BST (UK) »
Could anyone enlighten me on this photo.Is it an old soldier or militia or just an old chap in fancy dress,I have no idea.Thanks for your help in advance.If it's any help it is dated 1879 and was taken in Wisbech,Lincolnshire.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old soldier ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hes definately a British Soldier I think a member of Volunteer Battalions but its not my subject im sure one of the experts will answer your question fully

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ady,I am puzzled by the 4 stripes and what the stars on his sleeve mean.

That seems quite a distinctive badge on his cap.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 23:58 BST (UK) »
Volunteer Rifles as it is before they became battalions of a regular regiment.

Four chevrons plus a star indicate Quarter Master. The other stars are for five years service.

Wisbech is in Cambridgeshire and the 2nd Cambridgeshire Rifle Volunteer Corps were raised at Wisbech in 1860. The local record office may be able to confirm.

Ken

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 12 00:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken,geography was one of my best subjects at school,honest ;D.Thank you for that information,I will do a bit of Googling now.I think it's a great photo,lots of character.

Just one more question Ken.Is it the stars above the stripes that denote quartermaster and each one below the stripes denote 5 years service,is that correct.

George.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Yes - star over four chevrons is his rank badge - it's on both arms, and the three stars below, and just on the right arm, are for five years each.

There is a badge on his left arm between braidwork and stripes. It could be a musket. If that is another star above it means 'best shot'. Without a star it means he has passed as a marksman.

The cap badge is a powder horn, used by light infantry and 'rifles'.

Any idea what his name was?

Ken

Offline Neohet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 12 13:46 BST (UK) »
Just for information, quotes from "Wisbech and the Fenlands" website:

"Wisbech is the capital of the English Fens and the town itself sits on both sides of the river Nene, which forms the border between the counties of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk. Nine miles north on the western bank of the river Nene is the border between the counties of Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire."

"To do genealogy research for the Wisbech region, you may find that you may have to check the genealogical records for three different counties. They are Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Lincolnshire. There are differences in the way the original genealogical records were recorded for each County. In this present day, there are differences in the way the genealogical records can be found, either being through the various Public Record Offices, Genealogical Societies, or Genealogical Web-sites."

Great picture BTW. Wish I had some like that of any of my relies.

Regards,
Matt T.
Tomlinson - Sheffield, Rotherham & South Leverton
Hellewell - Rotherham & Barnsley
Percival - Sheffield & Lincolnshire
Leverton - Sheffield & Lincolnshire
Pearson - Sheffield & Worksop
Luff - Sheffield
Lashley - Sheffield
Maddison - Durham

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 April 12 14:02 BST (UK) »

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 April 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neohet and genechaser.Ken I don't know his name but looking at the date of formation 1860 and this being circa 1879 and three stars he is quite likely an original member of the corps.