Author Topic: Harriet Frith of Tring  (Read 3614 times)

Offline daveianc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harriet Frith of Tring
« on: Thursday 19 April 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
Harriet Frith of Tring
I have found an old letter 1839 in my Aunt's (Margaret Cook 1915-2007)papers from an M Calvert in Fiji written to Mrs Firth of Tring. I assume there must be a link with my family (Cook) I have found out everything about the writer. It was  Mary Calvert wife of James Calvert the famous Methodist missionary in Fiji and elsewhere. She was born Mary Fowler  1814-1882 in Aston Clifton near Tring.
Mrs Firth is a mystery, no address on the letter apart from Tring. I note there is a Harriet Firth (Market St) on Pigots 1839 directory under clergy and gentry,My ggm was Eliza Woodman whose family all came from TRING. From the letter Mrs Firth was likely to be a prominent methodist in Tring.
Does anyone know how I can find out aho Mrs Firth could be from theses clues.I guess she may be about 25 in 1839 ifshe was about Mary's age
Regards
David

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Frith of Tring
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there

There is a Harriett Firth on the 1851 census in Tring.
Born in Leighton Buzzard and is a widow aged 70
She is with a young servant and an apprentice.

Just wondered if this was your Harriett?

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census in Tring has a Harriet Firth widow 70 with Edward Woodmam 18 nephew so there's a connection for you.  She was born Leighton Buzzard, Edward born Tring and they also have a servant.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
Possible death for her in 1855 Berkhampstead district.

Maybe she was a Woodman before her marriage.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
Looking for the Edward connection he appears to marry a Harriet and is living with her and a brother Samuel Woodman 20 in 1861.
He's a tailor and draper and brother is assistant.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline daveianc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Firth of Tring
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 1851 census info from Sandymc and Milliepede.This Harriet could well be the lady I am looking for.I had assumed (wrongly?) that she would be younger. about Mary's age. The Edward Woodman b1833, her nephew living with her, looks very promising. My ggm was Eliza Woodman 1853-1934 b in Tring. In 1871 census she was living with her parents Edward b~1808 and Ann b~1804 and brothers Thomas 1844, Walter 1854, and James 1861. I don't know anything about Edward 1833 or Samuel Woodman 1841,but they are surely related. However, confusingly, there is another Tring Edward Woodman b 1809-1811 on !841 and 1851 censuses.living with his wife Frances 1812, and children, William 1835, Harriet 1836, George 1837,Henry 1838, and Samuel 1841 !!
Are there 2 Edwards or did he marry twice and have 2 sets of children. They don't overlap.
can anyone help me sort this out
Regards
David

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
This could get messy :D

1891 census has Edward Woodman born Tring 1808 with wife Elizabeth born 1846 so a much younger wife.  This Edward died 1891. 
You say your Eliza belonged to this Edward but clearly a different mother if she was born 1853 so he married at least twice - when did Elizas mother die?

In 1881 we have an Edward born Tring 1808 with a wife called Ruth.  Edward described as retired farmer.

In 1871 we have Edward born Tring 1808 with a wife called Ann which you mention was Elizas mother so if it is the same Edward he has at least 3 wives.

I think we need to establish when these marriages took place and when the wives died to see if we are dealing with the same chap.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
Your Edward a rate collector?  He is widowed in 1861 with sons Thomas and Walter which doesn't make sense if he is with Ann in 1871 does it.  Yet the sons are correct oh dear.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 12 16:53 BST (UK) »
I don't think all the children you list can be from the same mother because if Ann was born 1804 she would have been 57 when she had James* in 1861.  She was quite old to have Walter at 50 (if the ages are correct) and Eliza at 49. 

I can see a marriage Edward Woodman/Elizabeth Fox in 1886 which accounts for the pair in 1891.

Something not quite adding up here.  Sorry if I am confusing things.

*James is down as a grandchild in 1871 phew.

Pick - Frocester Glos