Author Topic: Private Mark Joseph Morgan, a sad death.  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Private Mark Joseph Morgan, a sad death.
« on: Thursday 19 April 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
A little Mystery in the family came to light recently, the Death of Granddads nephew Mark Joseph Morgan. Born in Southampton 29 apr 1921 as Joseph Mark Hume (father not named).
He took on the name of his step father (Morgan).
So, today I got his birth and death certs and the death cert is an interesting one, 25 apr 1942, on permanent way, Garstang. Private, Royal Army Ordnance Corps No 10533014. Misadventure. Killed by railway train while walking on the permanent way. Inquest held 2 days later.
Its very sad as he died 4 days before his 21st and possibly it was intentional, who knows what he'd been through.
my question is, what can I find out about his army service and how do I go about it?
any help much appreciated, Griff

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Private Mark Joseph Morgan, a sad death.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
Any service records will still be with the MOD. Details here:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelRecordsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

He was buried back in Southampton:
http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2350526/MORGAN,%20MARK%20JOSEPH

By the nature of the death, maybe a local newspaper report or similar may exist?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Private Mark Joseph Morgan, a sad death.*COMPLETE*
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 12 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Neil. The only person in the family that remembers it is now 84 and being 13 when it happened added to the fact it really wasn't talked about she doesn't know anything. Your info has given me something to look into
Griff