Author Topic: James Scott, Broadley, Enzie b1874  (Read 4595 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Scott, Broadley, Enzie b1874
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 April 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Am I right in thinking that he could be on the war memorial of his birth parish?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Nelpir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 April 12 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Thank you all for your answers. 
Fist - the family tree you found on ancestry is mine.  Have been on SP for the 1911 census.  Have checked all J.S. in Kirkintilloch.  Then checked all marriages but none have J.S. father / mothers names.  Marriage cert. for J.S. and Elizabeth Weir came up with wrong marriage cert.  Also difficult to find as I don't know the wife's name.
EV.-  doesn't look like i have the right person from the CWGC.  I have checked all over again but haven't come across anything that corresponds.  Don't know if he was a P.O.W.  Looks like he was just reported missing as no further reports no him.
Re Mary Ann Scott married to John Packman was J.S. sister, but can't find any link.
MonicaL - have trolled through the local paper 'B.A.' but did not find any trace of his name, or confirmation of death.  I have checked with a colleague who is researching all the local memorials at the moment and J.S. name does not appear on any of them. I'm going to SP Edinburgh later this month so hopefully will manage to get more info there.
From all the input you have given me I think I'm going to have to change my line of search.
Thanks again
Norma (Nelpir)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 April 12 16:16 BST (UK) »
Let us know how you get on Norma! Great that you are going to the SP Centre shortly. For the period that you are in, best way to search through all the many options with a name like James Scott! You should hopefully find the right 1911 census entry for James (from the BA entry, looks like he was still an asylum attendant when he attested so that should also help with any 1911 entries). Marriage and any other details are also there to be found.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nelpir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 April 12 13:46 BST (UK) »
:)  just back from the S.P centre in Edinburgh.  After a lot of searching I finally found the 1911 census for James Scott born Enzie.  From that I got his wife's name - Janet and first son James (b1910).  From there I got his marriage dates - 1910.  Found another son Alexander Holmes Scott b 1912.  Got Janet's dob.  Searching through the years from 1818 (there's literally hundreds of James Scott's because I don't know the different areas in and around Glasgow) I found his death certificate 17 Dec 1948.  His wife died 21 Mar 1950.  I'm now following up the sons families. 
thanks again
Norma   :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 April 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
Ahhh....so he didn't (hurray  ;D) die during WW1? How emotional for the family to have found that he wasn't missing in action for too long hopefully...You have done really well Norma and must be thrilled you got there  :)

Thank you for the update! We stay curious on RC!!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk