Author Topic: Pier Hotel Nelson Street Kingston-upon-Hull  (Read 2745 times)

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pier Hotel Nelson Street Kingston-upon-Hull
« on: Friday 20 April 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Does anybody know anything about  the 'Pier Hotel' in Nelson Street in 1871/81

My ancestor George Beaumont was listed on the 1881 census as a Licensed Victualler at the above address, and I would be interested to know more about it.

The family are living in Nelson Street ( number 8 ) in the 1871 census, George is listed there as Hotel Keeper, and his son ( John Armitage Beaumont ) as Hotel Assistant.

Would appreciate any information about this Hotel or indeed, the Beaumont family.

rosiejayne

Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent
Andrews/Kent
Austin/Kent
Heritage/Kent
Lawrence/Lincolnshire and Hertfordshire
Beaumont/Lincolnshire and Hertfordshire
Reeves/Kent
Rooker/Birmingham

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pier Hotel Nelson Street Kingston-upon-Hull
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosiejayne...I believe that it may have been renamed The Minerva Hotel...This has a 170 year old history and stands where the old Pier used to be...if you go to Google Earth you will see it's location...or google images for a photo as it is now...There is an entry for the Pier Hotel in Kelly's Trade Directory for 1892 but your relative was not there by that time.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
 :)

Hi Carol

Many thanks for that, I will check this out on google images.

Does anybody know of a website where I might find out more about Licensed Victuallers in the 1870's, for instance, did they have an association of any kind which would list more about them?

rosiejayne   :)
Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent
Andrews/Kent
Austin/Kent
Heritage/Kent
Reeves/Kent
Rooker/Birmingham

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello rosiejayne,

I don't know whether you are able to access the "Historical Newspapers" website - many local libraries subscribe to it, and it can be accessed by using a library card.

The Hull Packet has a few articles relating to your George Beaumont and the Pier Hotel as it was then, for the period 1869 to 1883. 
There is also an article about John Armitage Beaumont, who might be one of George's sons.
I'm afraid for copyright reasons, I can't attach the images, but I can type them out for you if you like.

Meanwhile, here's a rather nice picture of the hotel in 1900, but then as Carol says, called the Minerva Hotel.  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hull_corporation_pier/index7.shtml

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Yorkslass

Many thanks for your information regarding the Pier Hotel, I have now actually seen the articles relating to George Beaumont and John Armitage Beaumont,  who was indeed George's son.  Some of them make interesting reading .......  ;D

I am very grateful to you for sending me the link to the lovely picture of the hotel in 1900, that really helps to bring it to life for me.  :)

thank you

rosiejayne

Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent
Andrews/Kent
Austin/Kent
Heritage/Kent
Reeves/Kent
Rooker/Birmingham

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
Great find Yorklass...lovely image 8)
Glad you have a good result RosieJ  :D isn't it great to be able to put flesh on the bones of our ancestors.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 12 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Maybe I've misread the earlier posts which give the impression the the Pier Hotel & the Minerva are the same buildings just with a different name. 

They are two different establishments. The Minerva, as shown in the photo supplied by Yorklass, is situated at the end of Nelson Street near the Humber dock.  The Pier Hotel occupied 5 Nelson Street, which was almost next door to the 'station' which occupied nos 6,7,8 & 9.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Bee

Thanks for that info, I assumed too it was the same building.

I dont know the area at all, so bit intrigued by your reference to the 'station' and also the numbers that the building occupied.  ( 6 7 8 and 9 )

Am I right in thinking that it would have been a large building, and that there was/is a railway station there?

rosiejayne
Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent
Andrews/Kent
Austin/Kent
Heritage/Kent
Reeves/Kent
Rooker/Birmingham

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 April 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

Sorry, I didn't explain properly.  The 'station' I referred to was a railway station that never had any trains, it was operated by the 'Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway Company' and issued tickets for the Humber ferry. It was/still is a large building and the Pier Hotel was next door.

If I can remember where I've recently seen a picture that had part of the hotel on it, I will post a link to it.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk