Author Topic: NEWELL Rathfriland and MAYNE marriages.  (Read 10332 times)

Offline railway0140

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NEWELL Rathfriland and MAYNE marriages.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 April 12 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim for all of this.  I'm firstly going to try and find out a little more about The Tannery in Rathfriland and see if I can find his name registered anywhere as he was defnitely a Tanner.    It would be good to find out what Number his house was on Castle Hill.
Lynn.

Offline sam cantley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 April 12 14:59 BST (UK) »
 Hi Lynn,
 If old building you are referring to is  the one at the top right of the hill looking East it is only a store.
 I am sending you a PM
 Cheers, Sam.

Cantley,   Kentley,  Green, Greene,  Boyd,  Hartley, Froud.

Offline silveryfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 June 13 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a thread on the OldWarrenpointForum site (see http://www.oldwarrenpointforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9619) which covers the Mayne family.

HTH
Jim

Offline railway0140

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 June 13 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim for bringing my attention back on to this site again.
Yes, I wrote on The Old Warrenpoint Forum but find it very hard to keep up with all the different sites.
My archive of material has been filed away at present due to a house move but will be keen to get back on here again once I get sorted.
With thanks to all who have helped me over the years. :)
Lynn Stratton

Offline Faithen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ggrandparents Henry and Jennie Geggie nee Wright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 February 14 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I wonder could anyone give me any information whatsoever about a JAMES NEWELL, Castle Hill, Rathfriland {Parish of Drumgath}
He was a Tanner in Castle Hill in 1824 & 1846  -  Post Office Trade Directories.
Two of his daughters married two Mayne brothers. The two Mayne brothers were from Rehaghey, Aughnacloy, Co.Tyrone.

As far as I can see from 'The Belfast News-Letter' :-

Anne Newell married William Harriott Mayne on 6thOct 1829. Married by a Rev. John Whyte(White) - Rev. John White(Whyte) was the minister of the 1st Presbyterian Church in Rathfriland - Auld Kirk 1813-1836

Elizabeth Newell married Nathaniel Mayne on 7th May 1830

I would love to find out how many children JAMES NEWELL had and what his wife's name was or even her christian name.

With very many thanks, if anyone can help in any way or give me any ideas of were to look.

Is there a graveyard attached to the church that I have mentioned above  or were would he and his family be likely to be buried.

Lynn.

Hello My Family is Newell My GGrandfather live in Newtownards, County Down John Newell & Theresa Newell nee Ferris have found no James yet thought, this family were church of ireland protestants
ALL Newcastle - Elswick, Blaydon, Durham, West end,Lemington, West Denton .
Scotland all over
 & Ireland mainly North of Ahgohill, County Antrim
NAMES ;

Newell - Geggie - Faithen - Faichen - Thirwell - Thompson - Rose - Cooper -Rooney - Bilton & Nichol, Mitchell, Ross, Perry,Ewart,Hamilton,Miller,McMeekin

Offline Faithen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ggrandparents Henry and Jennie Geggie nee Wright
    • View Profile
ALL Newcastle - Elswick, Blaydon, Durham, West end,Lemington, West Denton .
Scotland all over
 & Ireland mainly North of Ahgohill, County Antrim
NAMES ;

Newell - Geggie - Faithen - Faichen - Thirwell - Thompson - Rose - Cooper -Rooney - Bilton & Nichol, Mitchell, Ross, Perry,Ewart,Hamilton,Miller,McMeekin

Offline rosemarycharsley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 December 20 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across this post.  My Great great Grandfather was George Newell whose father was James Newell.  I have quite a few notes and letters written by family members whic have been passed down to me.  I am beginning to work through them.
Here is an example:
Newell
Gt Grandfather Newell, Tanner at Rathfriland, a little conceited man, married Miss Scott of Castle Hill, a very clever shrewd woman, but difficult to get on with. 
Grandfather Newell had four sisters
One became Mrs Haliday
Another two married Maynes of Tyrone, Armagh
Another to Capt Hopkins
I think from this that we could be interested in the same JamesNewell.
It is rather a long time since you posted this so am not sure if you are still interested in James Newell, but if you are I am happy to share what I have.  If you have other information I would be interested.
Rosemary