Author Topic: Ann Young - convict  (Read 28621 times)

Offline rossmcmillan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Young - convict
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 03 May 15 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi caimein,
This is my first contact in RootsChat. I may have the solution regarding Ann's children. I am also a descendent of her and James Parker, but only found out about her trial in Aberdeen when I visited the Vinegar Hill Rebel centre last month in Ireland. Ann was assigned to Sargent Thomas Whittle when she arrived in 1806. Her son must have survived the voyage, and she may then have had another child to either Whittle or James Parker, as her son James Junior was born in or about 1806. He died aged 45 years and was buried near Orange in 1850 in the Chinamen's Bend Cemetery next to the Bush Inn that was run by his younger sister Jane and her husband Michael McCabe. This information is supported by the evidence Ann gave at the trial of James Leeson in Sydney Court in 1808. The defendant had been caught with a role of gurrah on the Windsor Road. He had stopped at the Government stockyard where Ann was employed. She have him some refreshment for which he gave her ".....a few yards of material which I used to make some garments for my children". One may have been the child of Whittle or even that of Cavanagh, as the date of James Junior death suggests he was born in 1805/06 when Ann arrived. She had another child named James to James Parker but much later. The connection with Whittle would also explain her daughter's statement in 1876 that her mother had been "married" to a soldier in the NSW Corps. Would love to hear your thoughts. Ross

Offline rossmcmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 May 15 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine,
I have just sent a reply to caimein re Ann Young. I am new to rootschat so I do not know if it was posted. I believe Essiena was Ann's sister because Ann named one of her children after her. I have more information available about her life. Ross

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 03 May 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross & welcome to rootschat. Once you've made 3 posts you will be able to use the private message system. This will be useful when exchanging personal details such as email addresses etc. The information you posted on this topic is very interesting & I'm sure rootschatters will enjoy reading about your findings :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline rossmcmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 04 May 15 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tamworth,
I am also a descendent of Ann Young. I also assume that James Parker was tried as a political prisoner as he was court marshalled in Dublin in 1801 at the age of 18 years. There were no indents or assignment records for the Atlas II but records indicate that most of the prisoners were Vinegar Hill rebels and that they were sent to Castle Hill Farm. He was pardoned as you say and received payment for clearing land in the Windsor area whilst working for John Palmer. The land grant he received in 1820 at Pitt Town; about 30 acres. He eventually crossed the mountains with the family and did indeed work for George Palmer near Bathurst as a shepherd with his son James junior. Ann was a hutkeeper, the only female noted in the 1835 Muster. I am descended from their daughter Jane, born in 1819 at Windsor. Have more details available. Regards, Ross

Offline marycs23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 17 December 16 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I'm also a descendant of Ann Young and James Parker - I've just confirmed this with DNA.
There must be a lot of us now, if there were 120 descendants in 1876.

I always knew Catherine (or Kate Parker) was part of my family as the mother of Thomas Kelly (1838-1900) she was listed on the death certificate of both his and his father (also Thomas Kelly) however there was no registrations to prove who she was.  Through DNA it seems Catherine the daughter of Ann & James had a relationship with Thomas Kelly snr between her two husbands - Robert Muckleroy and Edward Richard Hughes.

If anyone else has done a DNA test and wants to compare my results plus a number of other descendants from Thomas Kelly's results are loaded to GEDmatch.com - kits #T926980, T112301, T162475, T147621.

Regards
Mary

Offline rossmcmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 18 December 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
A little more to add to Ann Young. She was transported on the William Pitt in 1805. The India Fleet that accompanied the convict ships was also an invasion fleet that attacked Cape Town. Ann's ship stood off Robben Island while the troops were landed over two days before the assault on the Dutch garrison. They routed the Dutch who fled inland eventually surrendering to the British. Their ally France, under Napoleon failed to send reinforcements, so the British held the fort for the next 150 years until South Africa's independence. It was strategically vital for the transportation of convicts to Australia

Offline StrangePlanet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

First post on what is an old thread so I am not hopeful of getting a reply, however, I too am related to Ann Young (through Euphemia Young - assuming she is the sister of Ann). Despite having no direct connection with Ann I am curious about her history as her children would have been cousins of people who I am directly related to.

I would like to be clear in my own mind as to what the consensus is on the immediate descendants of Ann Young given the information already posted on this forum.

Is this how the tree would look?

1. Ann Young (1778-1876) (m. before 1804) Peter Cavanagh (1764- )
   2. Unknown Cavanagh (1804 - after 1808)

2. James "Parker" (1806 - 1850) - Father unknown - Possibly Sargent Thomas Whittle

1. Ann Young (1778-1876) (m. 1810) James Parker (1784-1850)
   2. Margaret Parker (1809-1895)
   2. Catherine Parker (1814-1898)
   2. Ann Parker (1817-1896
   2. Jane Parker (1818-1862)
   2. Euphemia Essina Parker (1819-1908)
   2. Esther Parker (1820-1820)
   2. Mary Ann Parker (1825-1887)

If I have correctly read the previous posts there is a possibility that there was another James Parker in the family born before or after Mary Ann Parker. Is that right?

Also, there is some confusion about the deaths of James Parker (born 1784) and James Parker (born 1806). Did they both die in 1850?

I guess what rossmcmillan is saying above is that Ann's child to Peter Cavanagh must have survived because in 1808 she testifies to having at least two children in the court case and Margaret Parker wasn't born until at least 1809. Is this correct? If so, do we know the name of this Cavanagh child?

Offline marycs23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Everything looks correct to me for children of Ann but there was a son called James Parker born around 1806 and died 14 Jul 1850 - he was married to Esther Bell in 1834.  James snr is thought to have died around the same time but there is no record I have found of his death.
I haven't ever found any evidence of the Cavenagh child and the timing of James jnr seems suspect as  if he was born in 1806, Ann only arrived in Australia in Apil 1806 and didn't marry James Parker until April 1910.  I'm interested in the 1808 court case you mention as I have only found her 1804 trial where she was pregnant.
I'm a Catherine Parker descendant and myself and family have DNA matches with a James descendant.
Regards
Mary

Offline StrangePlanet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting back Marycs23

I included James Jnr in my list. I just put him above the children born after Ann married James Parker.

If you want to see the article about the court case in 1808 you can try this page.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/memories/GMCH-P4Y