Author Topic: Ann Young - convict  (Read 28610 times)

Offline Cherobanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Young - convict
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 23 December 23 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to cut and paste the information i have but doesn't want to work. I did get it from Ancestry when I was a member.  I can send if you can some how send me your email address. I am not very good at navigating these pages. Happy to help in any way I can. 

Offline rossmcmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 24 December 23 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cerobanne,
I tracked Ann Young and her sister when they were sent from Scotland to board the female convict ship to NSW, but Peter Cavanagh's situation was not clear. Thanks for offering the info as I will add it to my own records. My email address is:
 Email address removed as per rules.You will have to communicate by private message.  

Offline Cherobanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 05 January 24 07:30 GMT (UK) »
I have found this information on Thomas Whittle. It may add to the theory that at least one child of Anne Young is the child of Thomas Whittle. I would have been at the government stockyard at the same time as Ann.

WHITTLE, Thomas (Thomas WHITTLE)
Soldier, "drum-major" (sergeant-major), New South Wales Corps

Born Dublin, Ireland, c. 1764
Arrived Sydney, NSW, 7 October 1792 (per Royal Admiral, from England)
Departed Sydney, NSW, Sydney, NSW, 12 May 1810 (per Dromedary and Hindostan, for England)
Discharged England, 25 August 1811

https://sydney.edu.au/paradisec/australharmony/register-W-2.php#WHITTLE-Thomas (shareable link to this entry)

Offline rossmcmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 05 January 24 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl,
All the rubbish about Ann being married to Whittle was perpetrated by her children. She claimed to have married Cavanagh but did not. I am almost certain that the child she bore Cavanagh is James Parker Junior. All the numbers add up for this to being the case. She was assigned to Whittle when she arrived in Sydney in 1806. She appeared in the 1806 Muster, but was also included in the addended file conducted by Samuel Marsden to show all the illegitimate children and unmarried women in the colony. He referred to them as Concubines. Only children born in the Anglican Church were legitimate in his eyes of this conceited bastard. Whittle was married to another women and had several children with her. This is where a lot of the confusion started. Why Ann claimed she was married to Whittle may have been to inflate her own importance. Whittle was infamously involved with Johnstone and Macarthur in the Rum Rebellion that toppled Governor Bligh. None of her children she later had with James Parker ever met him but probably knew about him. When Ann died in 1876, her daughter perpetuated the myth about her mother. I have a huge file on the Parkers and can send them to you if you provide your email.
Regards,
Ross

Offline Cherobanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 05 January 24 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I do agree with you Ross in the most part. It is mentioned that she lived with Thomas Whittle so she may have had a child to him. I don't think I ever said she was married to him. I don't believe she was. It would be interesting to read what you have. You do have my email address as I did send you some information that I had collected. It is so good to have this discussion. All the very best.