Author Topic: where is James Slack buried  (Read 3760 times)

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where is James Slack buried
« on: Sunday 22 April 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
James Slack born 1824 (father James) born either Norbury Staffordshire or Wildboarclough Macclesfield cheshire,  lived in Dirty Lane (now cockhall Lane)  Sutton Macclesfield, married Margaret Kemp 1853 at Parish Church Macclesfield.  worked as a calico printer. I would like to find out where he was actually born, and where and when he died.   
LATHAM Dudley Staffs.Gloucester
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire
SLACK Sutton Macclesfield

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: where is James Slack buried
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

His death reg is on freebmd  www.freebmd.org.uk

James Slack aged 60 June qtr 1885  Macclesfield  8a  91

Censuses 1851/1871/1881 show birthplace Wildboarclough Cheshire

1861 shows Staffs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

More info about the marriage, showing James's father as another James,

18 Jan 1854 
St Michael, Macclesfield, Cheshire
James SLACK 
Father: James SLACK 
Margaret KEMP 
Father: Thomas KEMP 

Wildboarclough was in Prestbury parish, Macclesfield hundred,

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/wildboarclough.html

There is/was a Norbury in the Macclesfield hundred so I wonder if that got confused with the Norbury in Staffordshire? On the image it shows 'Staffordshire, Notbery' if the town is wrong maybe the County is as well?

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/norbury2.html

I wonder if this is James in 1841, although there is a No for born in county :-\

1841  HO107/107/15  f.4  p.3  Prestbury
Township of Widboarclough
Bank Edge

John CHAPEL       50    Collier          Y
Mariey    "          45                      N
An           "         7                       Yes
Jeremiah   "         5                       Yes
Abraham SLACK  21  Calico Printer    No
James SLACK     18  Silk Printer        No

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the info.  I had some of the details you kindly sent me, but not all.  I did in fact wonder if James & Abraham were brothers when they were mentioned in the earlier census.    Unfortunately there are so many James Slacks in Macclesfield, I am still unsure if I have the right one. ??? I do have his marriage certificate to Mararet Kemp, but I would love to confirm his death so I can apply for his death cert.   Thanks again.

Eileen
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire

Offline jirrupin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Eileen,

I may not have an answer for you immediately. But my relatives were Slack and also connected to the Dirty lane, Meg lane and Ridge Hill area of Sutton. My James Slack born in 1820's was the father of my great great grandmother Mary Ellen. Mary Ellen is buried in St James Churchyard Church Lane, Sutton Lane Ends, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 0DS as I assume were most people from the village. If I can find out more I will drop by and let you know.

Donna

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
hello Donna, sorry ive not replied before but have taken a break from family searching.    Your comments are very interesting, and you are more than likely related to my husband 'down the line'.  his gt grandfather was in deed James Slack born in 1824, although I dont know anymore about him other than he married Margaret Kemp of Ridge Hill Sutton  in 1854 at St Michaels church Macclesfield, and had about 8 children 1 of them being my husband's grandfather Thomas Edmund Slack born 1868, and who my husband was named after.  I did find out that James (1824) died in 1898 after walking home to Dirty Lane from his daughter Maud's house, he apparently felt ill and suddenly dropped dead.  I found this information in the old Macclesfield newspaper when the inquest report was printed.     If you have any other information that we could share I would be most grateful.   I would of course let you have the info I have and then perhaps my brick wall may be opened up.   

you are very welcome to e mail me if you wish

regards      Eileen Slack
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 March 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  My name is Eileen  Slack and hav e just started family search again.  I realize that you have not been on Roots for a while , so I am hoping that you get this message.  A while ago you sent me a message saying that my James Slack could possibly be related to your gt gt grandmother, Mary Ellen.  James did have a daughter called Mary who was born in 1861, and also had around 8 children.   If you do  receive  this and you have any more information on James Slack born possibly 1822/24 and died in 1898 in Sutton Macclesfield, I would love to hear from you.  Incidentally I have been into Sutton churchyard and found various graves with the name of Slack on, and actually found James wife Margaret who died in 1907, but no menton of James anywhere.  In fact I have no idea where he is buried.   Any info please.
eileendorothy
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire