Author Topic: This is a mystery! PLease help!  (Read 9398 times)

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: This is a mystery! PLease help! COMPLETED.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
I think William may have been a touch too young to be involved in WW1, unless he lied as he was born in 1900.
In 1918 he married, but I am now pretty certain that the mother of his children was not the lady that he married.  And....I cannot find a marriage to the mother of his children.  Unless someone can prove me wrong????
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
There were boys as young as 13/14 involved in WW1 or maybe they didn't marry which is why you cannot find the marriage I think you really need one of the childrens birth certificates to confirm Ada's identity

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
There isnt a death for an Elsie Ada Davenport listed in Stoke on Trent although there is an Ada Davenport b 1896 died 1976 Stoke on Trent

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: This is a mystery! PLease help!
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
William definitely married Ada Smallwood in 1918, but his children have a mother's maiden name of Godwin.

I am of the opinion that something happened to Ada, or they simply separated and his got together with a lady with the maiden name of Godwin.  This lady looks to have 'married' before to a Mr Burton -but again I cannot find this marriage.
One of William's children says her mother was Elsie Ada - I am not sure of this because like you I cannot find evidence of it.
The death of Ada Davenport in Stoke could well be Elsie Ada - I'm going to see whether I can ask the family whether they remember when she died.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 April 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
The only other explaination maybe is that they married outside the UK

Willow x

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 April 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be thick... it says Completed for this post.
What does that mean?
Thank you

Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 April 12 16:43 BST (UK) »
Basically, the orginal question was to see whether the marriage I found of Wiilam [H] Davenport marrying Ada Smallwood was really Willam N Davenport. It is - confirmed on the Staffordshire BMD. I feel that was solved.

The children of William N Davenport were with another woman - nee Godwin.
It seems this woman was previously married to a Mr Burton, as the first two children were on the register twice as Burton & Davenport, mother's maiden name Godwin.  And she had 3 previous children with Mr Burton.
This is still a mystery - I can find no marriage for a Ms Godwin (possibly Elsie Ada) to a Mr Burton, or a Mrs Burton to William N Davenport.

So as this is still a mystery - I have removed 'completed' Tina.  ;D

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 April 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Snowy..I was just a bit confused but then, I'm allowed some Senior Moments... :)

Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline p2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
It's hard to discover from the records, but this info comes from Elsie Toplis herself.

William Norman Davenport married Ada Smallwood.  I don't know of any children from this marraige, but can't say for sure (and haven't looked into this yet).

Elsie Toplis (daughter of Sarah Toplass and William Richard Godwin) born 1890 (just before the marriage of Sarah and William) offically is recorded as Toplis but is known as Elsie Godwin.  After William Richard Godwin's death, Sarah Godwin (Toplass) remarries to William Henry Reynolds (i.e. becomes Elsie's step father) and Elsie is known as Elsie Reynolds at this point.  Elsie later married Albert Burton and there are children from this marriage.

William Norman Davenport and Elsie Burton (Toplis, Godwin, Reynolds) both left their previous partners (not divorced) and lived as a couple.  Elsie (so I'm told, but can't find evidence) changed her name to Davenport by Deed Poll and is known as Elsie Davenport.  Subsequent children are named Davenport but mothers maiden name changes occationally on birth records.  One child is recorded as both Burton and Davenport.