Author Topic: Giblett family of Meare, Somerset.  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Kiwilong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Giblett family of Meare, Somerset.
« on: Sunday 22 April 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
My GG Grand Mother was Anna Giblett born c.1812, married Francis Long in 1843 and died in Mells in 1850.Her parents were Jacob and Mary Giblett, nee Baker, according to the records I have. I have been unable to locate a birth record for her and wondered if the Ann Giblett bap.19.1.1812, parents Edward Junior Giblett and Ann or the Ann Giblett bap.20.10.1811, again in Meare, parents George and Nancy Giblett, one of which may be one and the same with my Anna Giblett? Does anybody researching the Gibletts of Somerset have any info regarding either of the above Ann's and parents, thereby allowing me to either eliminate or confirm them as a possibility. I have been searching for Anna's birth record for some years now and it seems strange to have drawn a complete blank.
Regards.
Geoff Long.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Giblett family of Meare, Somerset.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Kiwilong,

I fear you may have to do quite a bit of research to establish her parents beyond doubt.

There may be a clue in the burials for Meare however. These show that Ann Giblett, daughter of George and Nancy Giblett, was buried at Meare on 17 November 1811.

So, did they baptise their daughter Ann on 20 November 1811, after the death of their daughter named Ann previously?

There is another burial for Anne Giblett on 25 July 1818. This is also in Meare.
 There are no details about her in the registers.

I wondered if you have obtained her marriage certificate which would give her father's name? There is a marriage registration for her marriage in Bristol Registration District in the September quarter of 1843. The reference is Vol 11 Page 231. That is likely to be the only sure way of finding her father's name and occupation.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
I have looked on Freereg http://www.freereg.org.uk and found that a Jacob and Martha, later Mary, Giblett were baptising children in Meare in the 1780s and early 1790s.

Esau baptised 1779 to Jacob and Martha Giblett.

Mary baptised 1781 to Jacob and Martha Giblett.

William 1799, to Jacob and Mary Giblett.

Mary Ann 1800, to Jacob and Mary Giblett.

Thomas 1802 Jacob and Mary Giblett.

Sally 1804 as above.

Martha 1806 as above.

Christopher 1807 as above.

There is mention of Jacob jnr on some of these baptisms.

Then in 1809, Hannah is baptised to Jacob and Ann Giblett. It states Jacob jnr.

This puts Jacob around at a bit earlier time than you have for Anna.

Bear in mind that Anna and Hannah are similar sounding names in days when it was phonetic.

Jo.

Offline Kiwilong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 12 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo.
Thank you for your interest and advice regarding Anna Giblett.
I bought the M/Cert some years ago and Anna's father was Jacob Giblett, Yeoman, and her mother appears in the 1851 census for Mells as Francis Long's mother in law, Mary Giblett. Anna had died on Easter Monday, 1850, and Mary looked after the 4 children for 8 years.
So I am sure that all concerned thought that Jacob and Mary were Anna's parents and, in all probability they were, but I have never been able to locate a birth record for her.
At least you have eliminated one Ann Giblett for me, George and Nancy's child, Ann , Baptised 20th October 1811 and buried 17th November 1811. Still leaves Edward and Ann's child, Ann baptised 19th January 1812.
Because I have been unable to find Anna's birth it crossed my mind that she may have been adopted or a niece perhaps.Thanks again Jo, regards Geoff Long.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff,

The other possibility is that she was the illegitimate daughter of Jacob Giblett. I have seen cases (in my own family included) where the father's name is shown on the marriage certificate when the child was born illegitimately.

Jacob may have been her father but her mother could have been someone other than his wife and they brought her up. It could be why you cannot find a baptism. She would have been baptised in her mother's name.

I found a burial in Meare 08/02/1798, for Mary Giblett, daughter of Jacob and Mary Giblett. It states, "Jacob the younger".

It seems that Jacob, whose wife was Martha, Giblett was possibly Jacob the elder.

The other possibility is that she was baptised in a non conformist church/chapel by her birth mother.

Jo

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Just a couple of thoughts.

I noticed that Jacob Giblett married Mary Baker By Licence in 1797. This means he was well off as it was usual for people to marry By Banns. Marrying By Licence was an indication of someone having money.

Have you looked for a Will for Jacob, or Mary, Giblett? This might give clues as to children etc. As it seems he was wealthy, it would be expected for him to make a Will.

Jo.

Offline Kiwilong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 April 12 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo.
Thanks again.
A will would be marvellous but I have looked on Ancestry, findmypast and Docoments on Line (TNA) without luck, can you suggest anywhere else I can look?
I suppose if Anna was illegitimate I would be lucky to ever find her baptism.
A non conformist baptism is a possibility as at the time that Anna married Francis Long she was a Wesleyan I believe and my G Grand Father, Anna's first born, was baptised at the Lion (zion?) chapel in Frome in 1843 but was accepted into the established church in Mells in 1858 I think. However, all Anna's older siblings were baptised at St Mary, Meare so???
I had Jacob and Mary's first born, Mary -1798 but no birth record.
Well, thanks again Jo and regards Geoff Long.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 April 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff,

I suggest you try the Somerset Record Office to establish the situation with regard to Wills.

http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/

It will be well nigh impossible to establish a baptism for Ann if she was illegitimate. Wesleyan Methodism was very popular in Somerset and the chapels were well attended. I am not sure how many of their records survive. Again, the Somerset RO may be able to assist you.

I don't know if you have seen Genuki on Meare at:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/Meare/index.html

The strict position genealogically would be to accept Jacob as her father. It is possible that the baptism for Ann (and for Mary come to that) is under a mistranscription of the name Giblett. This may not come up in online searches. The only way to establish the position would be to examine the parish registers for Meare.

Jo.

Offline Kiwilong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo.
Just wanted to thank you for all your suggestions and research on my behalf.
As suggested, I will contact the Somerset Records Office re: a will and Wesleyan records.
I did borrow the Meare Parish Records on Film from the LDS and trawled thro them some years ago without success.
Again, thankyou Jo.
Regards and keep up the good work.
Geoff Long.